[General] Hestenes' work

Albrecht Giese phys at a-giese.de
Sun Sep 17 03:15:23 PDT 2017

Dear Andrew, dear Richard, and dear All,

I think that the cause of all problems regarding the electron is caused
by the assumption given by Hestenes in his paper:

"High energy scattering experiments limit the size of the electron to
less that 10^−16 cm, ...  which rules out models of the electron as an
extended body."

This assumption causes a blocking of an understanding of the electron
(and other particles).

I have discussed this assumption with professors of the DESY accelerator
in Hamburg, where such experiments have been performed very extensively.
One of them was the research director at that accelerator. The
conclusions from these discussions resulted in the following:

At first the result that the size of the electron is that small. If we
look at those experiments, then the result is in fact the size of the
/electric charge /in the electron. And now  we have to see that the
usual assumption that the electron is built up by the electric charge
only is a possible one, but not the only possible one.

The other result of these experiments was that it was not possible to
break up the electron by the bombardment with other particles of a
sufficiently high energy. So it was concluded that the electron is not
built by any constituents. -  But this latter conclusion is only true if
it is assumed that the constituents do have individual masses. If we
however assume that the constituents are mass-less then such an electron
can never be decomposed by bombardment. Because if one constituent is
accelerated at any huge acceleration, the other one can follow this
acceleration without any restriction. So, no breakup can happen.

Here now can my model serve as an explanation. In my model the electron
(like any other elementary particle) is built by two constituents which
do not have any mass at all. The particle as a whole has an inertial
behaviour, but that is a dynamical process which I have repeatedly
described here and at our meetings. It is also described on my website
with the title "Origin of Mass". (This site has top ranking in the
internet for this title continuously since 15 years, so there exists a
lot of response).

If this model is used, we can explain the properties of e.g. the
electron like the inertial mass, the magnetic moment, the constancy the
spin, the zitter frequency /with high precision /and without the need
for quantum mechanical considerations. No free parameters are needed.
The parameters used in the model are merely the speed of light c,
Planck's constant h, the elementary charge e_0 , and as a type dependent
variable the size of the particle (which is of course much greater than
the one cited also by Hestenes). So I am asking again: what else is
needed? Or what are objections against this model?

Best regards
Albrecht

---