[General] Can a single indivisible photon interfere?

Chip Akins chipakins at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 09:16:14 PDT 2017

Hi Wolf and Chandra

While my conjecture for the formation of elementary fermions and “photons” works quite well to explain the properties of electrons and the forces of nature, it still does not mean that a “photon” does not evolve into a propagating wavepacket after emission.

My current belief is that the photon exists as a particle which exhibits wave-like properties due to its configuration and topology, and does not evolve into a different topology once emitted.

But I agree with Chandra regarding the fact that a photon cannot be emitted unless there is a dipole field involved. The emission of radiation in accelerators is caused by the interaction of the accelerating field with the electron.  A lone charged particle cannot emit a photon, there must be a dipole to create a photon, and there must be a dipole to absorb energy from a photon.  So this limits the conditions under which emission and absorption can occur.

The reaction of an electron in a double slit experiment is not strictly due to the electron interfering with itself, but rather due to the interaction of the electron’s fields with the fields of the particles in the double slit mask.  So the topology of the mask, and its dimensions, have a pronounced effect on the detected pattern.

If this is the case with electron double slit experiments, it is likely also the case with photon double slit experiments.

I finally have a pretty good understanding of how to model this, so I will start working on a double slit simulation in MATLAB.  It will be interesting to see how well the predicted behavior from my model agrees with the observed behavior for electron and photon double slit experiments.

Once this is done correctly, if the predicted does not agree with the observed for the photons, then we have to consider the possibility that the photon is not what I think it is.

I have already done some checking on the electron model and double slit behavior, and that works out quite well so far.

Will keep you posted.

Chip