[General] Twisted Vortex LIght

Francois Henault francois.henault at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
Sat Apr 7 09:47:25 PDT 2018

Dear Wolf and All,

Vortices are a quite fascinating subject for optical engineers. I
recently published a paper (attached to this mail) about tailoring
wavefronts in order to generate null irradiance along the optical axis
of a system. This is a pure wave optics approach, light quanta are not
needed.
The question of their effect on Young’s fringes is very interesting. I
performed quick simulations with my own wave optics model that produce
the attached images. You should see:
1 - Usual Young’s fringes
2 - Young’s fringes with similar vortex beams of both holes. Fringes
themselves are unchanged, only their luminous envelope is modified
3 – Same as 2, but adding a Pi phase-shift at one of the two holes.
Forked fringes are appearing, which is in agreement with the (many)
existing experimental results and literature.
I take this opportunity to regret that our SPIE conference “The nature
of light: What are photons?” no longer exists, because I would certainly
have submitted a communication on that topic. Chandra, is there a chance
that this conference returns in 2019 ?

Best Regards,
Francois

--
__________________________________

François Hénault
Ingénieur de Recherche
Institut de Planétologie et d’Astrophysique de Grenoble (IPAG)
UMR CNRS 5274
Bâtiment OSUG-A, Porte 65
414, Rue de la Piscine
Université Grenoble-Alpes - B.P.53