[General] background on pair production

richgauthier at gmail.com richgauthier at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 07:04:31 PDT 2018

Hi Andrew and all,
  Below is a pdf copy of the article https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235335367_The_Miracle_of_the_Electron-Positron_Pair_Production_Threshold <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235335367_The_Miracle_of_the_Electron-Positron_Pair_Production_Threshold>  with the abstract (below) you are quoting from. Definitely the minimum incoming photon energy is much less than 2 MeV and much nearer to the quoted value. It turns out that it’s very hard (as explained in the article) to experimentally confirm the minimum photon energy value for a particular recoil nuclear mass, given by the formula, so there’s surprisingly much experimental (and perhaps theoretical also) work still needed on this relatively straightforward conversion process of a photon to an electron-positron pair.
    Richard