[General] background on pair production

richgauthier at gmail.com richgauthier at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 08:08:32 PDT 2018

Andrew and all,

  Here’s the reply I gave to someone at academia.edu <http://academia.edu/> who asked about Figure 3 diagraming e-p production from an incoming double-helix photon) in my article:

"The proposed superluminal energy quantum composing an electron or positron moves on each indicated moving mathematical (not physical) horn torus in Figure 3 in my article. The helical radius, wavelength and wave frequency f generating the horn torus of the quantum vortex electron is the same as the helical radius, wave length and wave frequency f  of the double-helix photon (and each single-helix half-photon) in the incoming photon. Green corresponds to the electron formed (with a reduction of the carried electric charge of each half-photon from -e sqrt(2/alpha) = -16.6e to -1 e) by the negatively-charged spin-1/2 half-photon from the incoming double-helix photon the while red corresponds to the positron. The angle of separation of the electron and positron trajectories depends on the energy of the incoming photon (smaller separation angle for greater incoming energy E=2 gamma mc^2) and the angles that the oppositely-moving created electron and positron make with the forward direction in the center-of-momentum system, where the incoming photon of energy E=2 gamma mc^2 and momentum p=2 gamma mc and the incoming atomic nucleus have equal and opposite momentum (but not equal and opposite energy). The atomic nucleus takes away a relatively high percentage of the momentum of the incoming photon (if the incoming photon energy is relatively low but greater than 1.022 MeV) during the formation of the e-p pair with the nucleus recoil, but takes away relatively very little of its energy, which (at low incoming photon energy) mostly goes into the created electron-positron pair. The atomic nucleus doesn't take away any of the spin of the incoming photon, which is conserved in the reaction where the spin 1 photon produces a spin 1/2 electron and a spin 1/2 positron.
   Your can read more about the experimental aspects and difficulty of measuring the threshold photon energy of e-p pair production in a very nice article at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235335367_The_Miracle_of_the_Electron-Positron_Pair_Production_Threshold <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235335367_The_Miracle_of_the_Electron-Positron_Pair_Production_Threshold> ."

     Richard