[General] background on pair production

Andrew Meulenberg mules333 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 03:08:32 PDT 2018

Dear Richard,

Thank you for looking that up. The words you highlighted in the abstract
are almost exactly like what I remember. I suspect that I read them in "The
Atomic Nucleus" by Evans (1982), which was often a "Bible" for me in my
work; but, I may have encountered the info earlier.

The main point is that the curvature of the photon path during its
"division" in passing by a charge can be quite different for the electron
interaction compared with that from a nucleus. This puts some light (and
limits) on the models for conversion of light to matter.

Andrew