[General] Velocity of gravitation

Albrecht Giese phys at a-giese.de
Mon Feb 11 12:18:22 PST 2019

Hi Wolf, hi All,

some time ago we had a discussion here about gravity. In particular
about the question whether the propagation speed of the gravitational
field is *c* or infinite. The problem behind is the fact that a finite
propagation speed of gravity should cause rotating pairs of stars to
permanently increase their speed, because the other star appears at a
retarded position and so the force between the stars should have a
tangential component. Our discussion ended at that time with the result
that the Liénard-Wiechert potential would solve the problem.

This was not very satisfying because the Liénard-Wiechert formalism is
only about the field at a retarded time, and this description by itself
does not solve this problem. I found that the solution is a completely
different phenomenon. It is the fact (and as such well known in the
physical literature) that fields like the electric field and also the
gravitational field (our case) never show aberration. This is –
according to literature – a well-known fact which is also theoretically
well understood. But most are not aware of it, like me.

Experimentally it can in the case of the electrical field be proven in
the laboratory. And the motion of stars show it for the gravitational case.

Do you feel that this helps?

Albrecht

---