[General] Oscillations of the Vacuum Itself

John Macken john at macken.com
Fri Apr 3 11:13:54 PDT 2015

Hello.  I am John Macken and I am a new addition to your group.  In the past
I have been in communication with Vivian and Richard.  Richard and I both
live in Santa Rosa, California, but we met for the first time only about 2
months ago.  I have spent the first few days reading past posts so that I
can get up to speed with the position of the group.

I was very happy to see that the announced topic for the SPIE discussion is
"Are electrons oscillating photons or oscillations of the vacuum itself?" I
strongly support the position that both photons and electrons are
oscillations of the vacuum itself.  In fact, my position is that all
particles, fields and forces are ultimately made of the single building
block of the quantum mechanical properties (oscillations) of 4 dimensional
spacetime.  I wanted to join this group because I believe that I can help
elevate the discussion from merely talking about photons, charge and
electric fields in the abstract to quantifying the underlying structure of
photons, charge, electrons, etc. I know that experimental proof is the gold
standard of the group and I believe that I can support my views by showing
that they are supported by experiments.

I have my own model of an electron which in a casual description might sound
like I am saying that it is a single loop photon with radius:  h bar/mc.
However, I go far beyond this superficial description and get into the
fundamental structure of spacetime and ultimately show that oscillations of
vacuum energy can explain photons, electric fields, electrons, gravity, etc.
Furthermore, I am not talking about arm waving; I am saying that these are
quantifiable effects which result in predictions and experimental proofs.

For example, a key insight is that spacetime has a key property which has
been named the "impedance of spacetime Zs = c^3/G = 4.04x10^35 kg/s".  While
I independently derived this from gravitational wave equations, I later
discovered that it had first been identified by D. G. Blair in 1991.  The
fact that spacetime has impedance implies that is an elastic medium with
quantifiable energy density.  The energy density works out to be Planck
energy density which corresponds to the energy density of zero point energy
if the maximum frequency is assumed to be equal to Planck frequency.  I have
explained the apparent absurdity of spacetime having tremendous energy
density.

Many of my ideas are contained in a technical paper available as a preprint
at    <http://onlyspacetime.com/QM-Foundation.pdf>
http://onlyspacetime.com/QM-Foundation.pdf    This paper will be published
this month as a chapter in the Springer book series titled "Progress in
Theoretical Chemistry and Physics".

My proposed model can be loosely described as a quantifiable distortion of
spacetime propagating at the speed of light around a chaotic circle one
Compton wavelength in circumference.  This has many similarities to the
photon-based structure of an electron proposed by others in the group, but I
get into the details which account for the obvious differences between
photons and electrons. It might be said that photons and electrons are first
cousins because their underlying structure both originate with oscillations
of spacetime that can be described by similar equations.

My work has resulted in several predictions which can be experimentally
proven correct.  For example, the proposed structure of an electron affects
the forces generated by electrons.  One prediction is that both the gravity
and the electric field produced by an electron should have a static
component which strains spacetime and a component oscillating at the
electron's Compton frequency. This oscillating component causes the
electron's electric and gravitational fields to fundamentally scale with the
electron's reduced Compton wavelength.  Furthermore, gravity should be a
nonlinear effect which scales with wave amplitude squared while electric
field should be a linear effect which scales with wave amplitude (not
squared).

 These predictions can be experimentally proven correct because equations
given in the preprint paper show that starting with the Coulomb law equation
and Newton's gravitational law equation there is indeed the previously
unknown square relationship between gravity and the electrostatic force when
the separation distance between two electrons is stated using the number of
reduced Compton wavelengths rather than using meters.  The vast difference
between an electron's gravitational force and its electrostatic force can be
expressed as a simple square of wave amplitude and alpha, the fine structure
constant.  The paper also proposes a new constant of nature which converts
charge and electric field into a distortion of spacetime. Application of
this constant predicts that photons and electric fields should have limiting
conditions.  These predictions are also shown to be correct because these
limits imposed by the quantum mechanical properties of spacetime correspond
to conditions which would produce black holes.

In summary, my position is that both photons and electrons are quantifiable
oscillations of the vacuum itself.

John M.