[General] Nature of Light and Particles - Request

Chip Akins chipakins at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 14:11:14 PDT 2015

Hi Andrew

Thank you for those references.

For a few reasons I had temporarily ruled out the notion that photon spin
can be in any axis other than around the longitudinal.  One reason is that
if spin is parallel to the plane of the longitudinal axis it requires the
field velocity for half the cycle to be twice the speed c and for the other
half cycle to reach zero.  Neither of which seem reasonable.

Due to the wide use of down-converting crystals to create a pair of
“entangled” photons, at half the frequency (energy) of the original
incident photon, for photon polarization “entanglement” experiments, I am
similarly temporarily setting aside the notion that polarization is a
multiple photon effect. For if it required more than one photon to
constructively interfere to pass through a polarizer, those experiments
would be much less informative than they are currently believed to be by
most physicists.  The nature of those experiments indicates the belief that
photon polarization is a single photon phenomena.

One popular interpretation of experiment uses the quantum notion of
superposition of spin states to explain polarization.  But this seems to be
an unphysical explanation to me, so I am looking at possible alternates,
with a more causal and classical description.

One of those alternates is described as follows… It may be that a photon
can have any spin value up to the limit +/- ħ. If I remember correctly
Chandra and John W. have commented on this and may have more information.
If this is the case then a single photon may be able to consist of more
than one set of fields. The frequency and confinement (quantization) we
have discussed, will still work in that scenario, because it is the energy
density in that volume of space which causes the total EM forces which also
would produce quantization, (frequency, and confinement).  It seems that a
single photon is always monochromatic, so the frequency and wavelength
would be the same for each set of fields (waves).  However if one set of
fields is “pulling left” and the other set is “pulling right” then the
composite set of fields displays a lower spin angular momentum value, and
even a zero spin angular momentum value, for a plane polarized photon with
balanced and equal sets of fields spinning opposite directions. Of course
we know, and can demonstrate easily, that EM waves can pass through one
another and coexist, so it is not difficult to imagine these photon fields
behaving in such a manner.  Quantum physics posits the superposition of two
spin states with an entangled wave function collapse at the measurement of
one of the entangled particles. Joy Christian’s work shows how two non-
commuting spin operators, as local variables, satisfy the same Bell’s
inequalities. Both explanations (quantum and non-commuting local variable)
can be realized by a classical, causal based physical topology, with two
sets of fields, each exhibiting spin, but in opposite directions. If this
scenario is accurate it would imply that plane polarized photons would
behave slightly differently in some diffraction experiments, than
circularly polarized photons. Such an effect has already been shown in
experiment, using the polarization dependence of Fraunhofer diffraction and
a metallic grating.

Thoughts?

Chip