[General] Nature of Light and Particles - Request

Andrew Meulenberg mules333 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 10:27:02 PDT 2015

Dear Chip,

Since I have been having this discussion with someone (Jean-Luc Paillet) in
a different context, I thought that I would take the time to try and find a
paper that contained a statement that I had interpreted to mean that a
linear-polarized photon still had a spin of 1.

I found what I think may be what I had seen (attached). However, now that I
look more closely, I am not sure that it is referring to a photon or a
collection. Perhaps someone more mathematically sophisticated can look at
sections 6.7 (for circular-polarization) and 6.8 (for linear-polarization)
of the attached and let me know if it can refer to single photons as well
as collections. "We recover the classical result derived in Section 6.7:
the spin is in the direction of propagation of the wave."

Jean-Luc referred to the 3rd from last paragraph of
http://mathpages.com/rr/s9-04/9-04.htm , which states that linear-polarized
light is only balanced circular-polarized light. However, it further states
that individual photons will register as +/- hbar. Thus, it is a
superposition of 2 states, rather than a 3rd state. If this is the case,
does the E = n h nu relation come into play? If so, then I assume that
spectrometers could respond differently to  linear- and circular-polarized
light of the same energy (with n = 2 and 1 respectively). On the other
hand, since w = w1+/- w2, a spectrometer might see only the sum of the two
coherent photons (a thermally stable BEC?). It is an interesting problem
that I see no convincing solution to.

Andrew