[General] Nature of Light and Particles

Mark, Martin van der martin.van.der.mark at philips.com
Sat Apr 4 05:19:29 PDT 2015

Dear Andrew,
your questions on spin  and on topological charge were already answered by John W and myself in the paper "Is the electron a photon with toroidal topology?", as a matter of fact this really the central idea the paper is about.

[from Andrew] You have posed an interesting problem that requires some deep thinking. A possibility that comes to mind is the dilemma I faced in a QM class. Spin is only 'up' and 'down'. However, up & down are orthogonal, not 'physically' anti-parallel, states. (How is anti-parallel defined then?) Perhaps if we fully understand this (it may be coupled to the spin 1/2 concepts), then we can get a handle on the issue. Is it related to the 'twist' in a photon needed to produce an electron/positron pair?
About spin direction: the direction of rotation of energy flow around the eye of the torus with respect to the propagation direction around the center is either right or left handed, hence has intrinsic spin properties independent of the orientation of the object as a whole. This is a requirement for making the distinction between spin up and spin down.
Note also that spin ½ objects will always show an absolute magnitude of angular momentum of ½ hbar ,independent of any direction you measure it in! This cannot be true for rigid body rotation (as first analyzed by H.Casimir in his thesis), hence the real electron is not a rigid body.

[from Andrew] Re your notes to John M and Richard:  You have raised the question of "topological origin of charge." I believe that this is a very important concept that has been ignored. Bob Hudgins' thoughts, developed in the analysis of standing waves, have led to a paper on the topic to be presented in San Diego. If Bob is not feeling up to presenting up to presenting a second (or third) paper at the conference and our other coauthor, Ralph Penland, is not able to attend, we might ask you or someone else in the group to present it for us. [My wife is expecting twins in September and that has screwed up our plans to attend the conference and then fly back to India, which were made when we were expecting only a single baby.]
About topological charge. First of all there is an ambiguity in language here. Topologists use the term charge as well, and it is related to a winding number. In our model, John and I talk about real charge that emerges as a consequence of two things: first, the electromagnetic field of the electromagnetic wave going round and round. Second, the field configuration is  modified due to the non-simply connected flow AND double loop of that flow, this gives rise to both topological charge and real charge. The double loop must be there  so that the periodic boundary condition of one single wavelength (in order to have constructive interference) is effectively ½ wavelength in the structure as it emerges: the other dimensions available take up rotation.
Now we have two rotations so that the object as a whole is spinning in multiple directions at the same time. It is not a rigid body, and this is also an absolute requirement for spin ½ objects. If you hold one axis fixed by applying a very strong magnetic field, for example,  this will not stop the flow and only part of the rotation will be pinned to that direction, half of it to be precise.

We have used the term "photon" in our model to bring in hbar and show the numerical validity of the approach. Presently we would be hesitant to call the electron a topological photon or such. I think that both John and I are in favor of continuous electromagnetism where the quantization is caused by emitter and absorber. The same being true for the vacuum fluctuations, by the way. The vacuum is not nothing, but not as full as some believe. However, wherever you probe it, you will find as much energy as you would expect  due to the stick you are probing with! But that is a discussion I should have with John M, I suppose.

So Andrew the concepts have been addressed and it would be great to talk about this further, perhaps on Skype.
Congratulations with expecting twins!!!! I understand that you are surely not coming to the conference?

Cheers, Martin

Dr. Martin B. van der Mark
Principal Scientist, Minimally Invasive Healthcare

Philips Research Europe - Eindhoven
High Tech Campus, Building 34 (WB2.025)
Prof. Holstlaan 4
5656 AE  Eindhoven, The Netherlands