[General] de Broglie Wave Analysis

John Williamson John.Williamson at glasgow.ac.uk
Sun Apr 19 18:40:04 PDT 2015

Hi John M,

Thanks for including that part of your book again. Very pretty diagrams! I have enjoyed reading it. I have not had occasion to do much with general relativity since graduate school, but it was good to re-visit some of its beauty. I have enjoyed thinking about your postulate of space having that kind of energy density and thinking through some of its consequences.  Till now I have not addressed any of the issues you have raised directly, and you have taken at least one of those as a "criticism". I hope you will not take the following too badly. You have asked, however, for us to flag up what we perceive as any weaknesses in your model. Such a direct question begs a direct answer. There follow one or two of the important ones for me...

I agree that 10113 J/m3  is an impressively large number - big enough indeed. Various estimates of the mass of the universe come in at about "only" 1053 kg giving, roughly, 1070 J or so of rest mass energy in total for the entire universe. So 1043 universes worth (or so) per cubic metre. This means that, even in the volume of a small atom, about a cubic Angstrom, one has enough energy for ten trillion big bangs. At this energy density, even a volume of the electron Compton wavelength cubed has more energy than the entire physical universe, even including estimates of dark matter and dark energy. This is, for me, an awful lot of energy to have no measurable effects at all - even in fluctuations at the quantum scale.

I quite like the boldness of presuming space to be full of such energies, but this is also, surely, the weakest point of your model. The complexity of the properties of space required to account for this, together with the experimental fact of the non-observation of any measureable effects of this stupendous energy and force needs it, for me, to generate a good number of useful results to be worth the effort of carrying.

Useful results, for me, would include such things as the prediction of any particle masses, for example, or of any physical constants other than those, such as hbar, G and c, put in a-priori. I have looked for these in the long paper, but you seem to insert a "new universal constant", η, for charge, and to put in each of the observed particle masses and the presumption of the valence quark masses individually by hand. Am I wrong here?

Further, and even more importantly, the Plank scale is often viewed as that scale at which the current theories of physics, and general relativity and quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics in particular "break down". These are amongst our most important practical theories. In my view any replacement theory must maintain these, at least in the realms where they explain experiment well.  In that context, one really needs to have a convincing argument to show how they are maintained against that immense background of mass and energy at the Plank scale. I have read the first part of your long book, and have skimmed through the rest looking for a discussion on this point. I have found several places where you say it will be discussed "later" but have not yet managed to find the place to which you refer. Perhaps you could point me to the relevant pages?

Coming back to the discussion on particle stability, you seem to be saying that this is somehow caused by the immense pressure. This requires the particle to have some kind of boundary with internal and external pressures across it, does it not? The integrity of deep-sea creatures (or ourselves) does not come from the pressure under which we, or they, live, but from skin and bones (and most especially skin in the case of single celled deep sea organisms). The numbers you come up with in support of stability differ enormously 10113 N/m3for the "vacuum" compared to1024 N/m3 for the electron. Wouldn't the poor little electron get a bit crushed under those forces? Also, does it not follow, in your model, that bigger particles should have higher energies, not the other way round as is observed?

Regards, John W.