[General] Listing topics on "photon-to-electron" discussion and people's views

Andrew Meulenberg mules333 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 00:02:30 PST 2015

Dear Folk,

I just finished glancing through Viv's paper. (I won't have time to read it
for a while).

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.la-press.com%2Fredirect_file.php%3FfileId%3D3567%26filename%3DPPI-4-Robinson_7102%26fileType%3Dpdf&ei=XrzaVN3yM5LaoASdvIBI&usg=AFQjCNEgMis5p6Np1a0a_LqfbJG-HZMcrw&bvm=bv.85761416,d.cGU

Like so many papers of what has been written by people in this group, I
think that we are all seeing the same vision (not necessarily thru the same
glasses). On most of the topics, I could not express the many important
points as well as she did, or John W. did, or John D. did, etc. in their
various writings. The number of subtopics in the field is immense. The
number of people (and egos of independent minds?) involved is already large
and growing. How do we move it forward?

We don't have time to sort it all out with presentation of many individual
papers (on one day at a single conference)  that will say much the same
thing. We don't have time to sort it all out with joint discussions of all
of the topics during that week. Chandra has done almost single-handedly a
great job on organizing and running the Nature of Light series. It has been
growing over the years. I think that we all want to do things faster with
this new direction. We now have the critical mass to bring it all together.
Chandra has provided the 'bootstrap' to help us get it off the ground.

Chip and Chandra have listed some topics that need to be covered. John W.
started to answer some of them. These are points for discussion when we get
together at the conference (and even before). In the meantime, I would
propose that we do several things that will organize our diverse thoughts,
but joint effort. I would welcome someone volunteering for the work
necessary and for other suggestions and contributions of ideas and effort.
If we can use the website as a repository of contributions and a 'poster
board' of the contributors and presentations, then we might be able to
multiply the benefits of this gathering and its impact on the physics
community.

We need a poster paper that will:

   1. identify the main photonic electron concepts
   2. List session presentations and presenters at the conference
      - title of paper (s) and
      - main emphasis of the presentation
      3. list topics that identify what we consider to be the important
   points.
      - it will contain sub topics and the subtopics will have 'positions'
      (specific concepts or simply pro & con)
      - each subtopic position will have a primary 'advocate' (if one
      exists) and
      - Each member of the group (not just those at the conference) will
      have a column that will be filled in for each postion (e.g., green for
      agree, red for disagree, yellow for mixed, blank for undecided, 'O' for
      thinking that the position, subtopic, or topic has no added value.
      4. provide a decision process that:
   - 'encourages' each author to chose a topic (or topics) to emphasize in
      their presentation at the conference.
      - The papers probably will have to follow the abstract submitted.
      They can be more complete. However,
      - the presentations can avoid great repetition by having a couple
      general views at the beginning of the session(s) and then limiting slides
      to the particular point of interest.
      5. propose an additional conference  to carry on what we are starting
   this year.
      - for alternating years?
      - In Europe?
      - SPIE, or other sponsor
      - title?
      6. . - - - -

As a starting point, the topics list for people to vote on could include:

   1. Photon properties leading to the electron
      - Potentials in a photon (AM & BH)
      - fields of a photon
      - energy (mass) density of a photon (AM)
      - self-focusing as result of high mass-density distortion of space
      - total internal reflection
      - Imbert-Fedorov effect
   2. Coherent photon interactions
      - Constructive interference (Bosonic nature)
      - Destructive interference (Fermionic nature)
      - in-between interference (non- interaction?)
      - incoherent interference (non- interaction?)
   3. Photon-to-electron conversion
   -  self coherence
      - photon bending in an inhomogenous *E*-field
      - 'rectification' of light
      - electron-positron coupling via wormhole
      - etc.
      4. Electron properties derived from photon:
      - total energy
      - EM energy
      - charge (potential & fields)
      - mass (charge & energy equivalent)
      - Compton wavelength
      - deBroglie wavelength?
      - ang. momentum
      - spin
      - relativistic response
      - predictions, different from known properties?
      - ??
   5. Others?

Contributions to this list, from others in the group, should be added in
italics. Phrasing these listed items in the form of true/false questions
may not be possible; but, it is worth a try so that people can quickly
answer and give a picture of where we stand as a subgroup.

This set of posters is not just for the subgroup. It will act as a guide
for the group of attendees and speakers who have not thought deeply about
the electron as based on photons.

Andrew