[General] Photonic electron and spin

John Duffield johnduffield at btconnect.com
Sat Feb 21 06:46:21 PST 2015

Andrew:

I have a very mundane view of time. Like, it’s just a measure of motion. See A World without Time: The Forgotten Legacy of Godel and Einstein along with time travel is science fiction. So things like the passage of time or travelling through time leave me cold. Ditto for spin about the time axis I’m afraid. I feel more comfortable with the Einstein-de Haas effect which “demonstrates that spin angular momentum is indeed of the same nature as the angular momentum of rotating bodies as conceived in classical mechanics”. Maybe the issue is the standing-wave nature of the electron? There’s a rotational action in the photon, and if the photon is itself going round and round just so, the two rotations maybe cancel such that the field variation looks like a standing field. But it isn’t really standing. If you have a standing wave in a cavity and you drop one of the sides, that wave is off like a shot. It moves at c from a “standing” start. It looked like it was still and stationary and standing and static, but it wasn’t. It was always dynamical. Ditto for the electron. If it wasn’t a dynamical spinor, it wouldn’t go round and round in a magnetic field. Let me put it another way: if it wasn’t spinning, your boomerang wouldn’t come back.

As for an electron moving, IMHO one should start with Compton scattering because that’s the simplest situation.

The way I see it is that the electron “acquires a slice” of the incident photon, such that the electron’s photonic field is no longer rotationally symmetrical. Hence the electron moves. Draw repeated circles on a piece of paper whilst somebody pulls the paper to the left. Or draw an incomplete circle, then without lifting your pen, draw another and another and another. It has net direction in space.  I’m not sure about the 3D spin component that precesses about the velocity vector. I’m struggling to visualize it. Sorry.

Regards
John D