[General] Vot

John Williamson John.Williamson at glasgow.ac.uk
Mon Jul 6 01:38:49 PDT 2015

Dear All,

As promised, here is a first instalment of the draft electron-photon paper.

The discussion over mass-energy, and its smoothness, is apposite. It is worth noting that the main theories of physics work with a sort of square-root mass-energy density, which must be squared and integrated over to yield a total (rest) mass or energy. This is the form of the "probabilty density" in QM for example, or the field in the Maxwell equations. Despite its pretty much universal presence I'm not aware of a good, general word for it. If any of you know any better, please share it! Anyway, after Seuss, I have made up the word "vot" to describe this concept - and to fit in with my previous nomenclature for the scalar square root mass density I called the pivot in the papers circulated earlier. Vot is the general term - and scalar root energy density then becomes p-vot, the magnetic field (root) energy density B-vot and so on. Remember the general unit for magnetic field, the Tesla, already has this form - one must square it and integrate over a volume to get an energy. I'm extending the nomenclature to give a general name to each of the (16) fundamental space-time forms that square-root energy can take. Although the p-vot squared and integrated gives an element of the rest-mass (and has the relativistic transformation properties of a rest-mass) not that this is not the whole rest-mass of an EM particle. One must also take such things as the electric field into account. This also accounts for a good fraction of the total energy of the particle, is pinned to the p-vot and hence localised, and hence contributes (as in the discussion of "light is heavy" to what one would weigh on a scale). To get the total energy one has to add up all the bits.

Anyway this email is a little cryptic - hope the paper itself is more informative.

It is worth noting that this is very much a draft. Much of the wordy stuff in there at the moment will go (and must go to fit in the rest) in the final paper. Perhaps it will help to have the intermediate steps explained more fully for you all to get what I'm trying to say.

Anyway, see what you think.

I look forwards to comments.

Regards, John W.