[General] Positions

John Williamson John.Williamson at glasgow.ac.uk
Sun Mar 29 21:02:28 PDT 2015

Hello everyone,

Here is a general statement on my current "position". The first part is brief. The second includes the first but expands on some of the points (in blue)

Position:

Experiment is primary.

Most of current calculable theory is fundamentally correct: as far as it goes.

All particles, leptons, photons and hadrons have the same, underlying nature.

Current theories do not go far enough in describing that underlying nature.

A new theory is required describing both light and matter. On the same footing. It should encompass, or underpin, most of the current canon of physics.

Such a theory should be mathematically precise. It should be well-defined and self-consistent. It should be finite, calculable and testable. It should describe all of nature just – and no more. It should be (at least part of) the solution of Hilbert’s sixth problem.

It should explain the nature of particles as light and light as (part of) particles.  It should lay bare the nature of charge, quantum spin and the families of particles observed in experiment. If not based on space and time themselves then it should derive their nature.

I should say that my new theory IS based on (just 4-D) space and time themselves – and so may not be complete if these are not fundamental (which they may be). For me, at the moment, the best route to understanding the above and especially to understanding the reason that “light” may be confined as a double-looped photon-like object, is to extend Maxwell’s equations to achieve this.

Extended ...

Position:

Experiment is primary.

Having said this, understanding the true meaning and significance of experiment is (pretty much) beyond all of us. It is very very hard. How do I know this? I see what meaning others ascribe to my own experiments – usually ill informed –often just plain wrong.  I include myself in this: I thought for a few months that structure in electron focusing was from quantum interference of alternate trajectories. Not so – it was a rough(ish) edge to the device. I wanted to publish a retraction later, but the lead-author (and another chap who had done the quantum-interference calculations) did not want to. This is one of my most cited papers – with hundreds of citations. Cited by folk in support of their own mis-understanding (perhaps) of the underlying source of the structure observed.  Each, then, a group of people wasting their time corroborating falsehood. Not good.

We (you – yes you!) all do this sort of thing – Chip states in his paper that Martin and my model we consider a ribbon of charge – not so.  Richard and John D see our earlier model as light flying round a little donut in space- not so. It is not that you guys are wrong (you may have got it just right!). It is just that it is absolutely not what we were saying. See, I’m doing it now – I’m telling you guys what you think about what we thought. Probably all wrong again!

Most of current calculable theory is fundamentally correct: as far as it goes.

These include: Maxwell, Quantum mechanics, Quantum electrodynamics,  special relativity, general relativity. Any new theory must encompass these, or at least agree in the limits where they describe experiment well. Preferably, any new theory should derive the starting points of all of the above.

All particles, leptons, photons and hadrons have the same, underlying nature.

The above-mentioned theories do not go far enough in describing that underlying nature.

I think it is not ever going to be sufficient to sweep our lack of understanding of one kind of particle (the electron) into that of another (the photon). We need to go further and properly understand both.

[...]

Though that is my view at present, just what that theory may be (at least in detail) remains open – and is part of the theme of this session. Good luck to us!

Regards, John.