[General] experiment

John Williamson John.Williamson at glasgow.ac.uk
Sat May 2 20:36:43 PDT 2015

Hello David,
Now that is what I call an interesting question …
Thinking about it I should probably pay more attention to this aspect in my papers. I feel it is not really for me to propose experiments to test the theory but for others to imagine experiments to test it. Einstein, Maxwell and Dirac did not go around proposing lists of future experiments as this was not their field of expertise: that was theory. They did all, however, refer strongly to existing experimental basis. I suppose times have changed and experimentalists no longer expect to understand the theories at all so need everything spelling out. Ho-hum.
Here goes (from the top of my head). I am speaking for my new 2014 theory here (the extension of the Maxwell equations as presented at FFP14 last year), not for the old 1997 model of Martin and mine. The old model, however, has a similar list.
I will distinguish three kinds of experiment here: constitutive, predictive and discriminatory.
Constitutive experiments are those seminal experiments which lead to the choice of the starting basis for the theory. The ones I mention explicitly have already been done –yet there remains a mystery as to their interpretation which is at least partially resolved by the new theory. Examples here are the observation particle pair creation and annihilation, the (special relativistic) nature of space and time, and the (experimentally determined) gyromagnetic ratio of the electron
Predictive experiments are those area of experiment which should be followed in testing the theory. Precisely what is predicted (within the 2014 theory of light and matter) depends on which extra non-zero terms one allows over and above the Maxwell equations as they stand. Briefly the C’s are constants (such as conventional charge or current), P is rest (ponderous) mass, Q is the quadrivector pseudoscalar (also rest mass - like) and T is tri-vector (angular momentum density). Setting all these to zero one just has the standard Maxwell theory in the Lorenz gauge – a pretty well established theory then. Examples here are experiments in spin polarized elementary particle scattering, the practical use of the theory to predict new kinds of materials and devices and (possibly) the detailed properties of dark matter in cosmology. The different levels discussed here are: 0 – just Maxwell, 1 Maxwell plus P , level 2 Maxwell plus P and Q, level 3 Maxwell plus P, T and Q,
Discriminatory experiments are those which distinguish between different possible choices of the basis elements of the full theory. These are mostly experiments on the relative handedness of particle scattering processes, the detailed processes of exotic particle decays (such as K short and K long) and the detailed structure of more complex structures such as baryons.
Sorry about the $ symbol here (if that is what you see). In my word version this is the "there exists" symbol reversed capital E. Can't be bothered looking up how to do this in yet another system though.
Constitutive:

1.     $ particle-antiparticle pair creation and annihilation

2.     Detailed experimental properties of space and time (special relativity_

3.     Observed linearity of E-M fields (Chandra’s NIW).

4.     Photo-electric effect

5.     Measured E-M field in cavities

6.     Decay rates of ortho- and para-positronium

7.     $ black body quantisation

8.     $ limits on intrinsic angular momentum of photon (e.g positronium, selection rules in atomic transitions etc..)

9.     $ of exclusion principle

10.   Claim – consistent will all current experiment within realm of validity (could be wrong here!).
Predictive level 0

1.     $ quantized only propagating solutions but:

2.     $ non-quantised near field and

3.     Fractionally quantised collective excitation photons

Predictive level 1

1.     $ Simplest charged solutions

2.     Detailed nature of emergence of charge at intermediate energies

3.     Separation between centre of charge centre of mass and centre of spin

4.     Gyromagnetic ratio of elementary particles
Predictive level 2

1.     Dual solutions exist.

2.     If this is electro-weak (in other words if this term is non-zero) – investigate point where weak interaction “turns on” at intermediate energies.

3.     Precise predictions of properties of dark matter in cosmology
Predictive level 3

1.     Spin-polarised scattering at intermediate energies (spin-structure of particles)

2.     Prediction of new kinds of materials – e.g. high TC superconductors.

3.     Non-charged origin E-M radiation

Discriminatory:

1.     Effects of relative handedness on spin-polarised scattering or CP or PT violating processes.
There you go. Any competent physicists should be able to think of lots more in each category, after they have understood the new theory of course.