[General] position

John Williamson John.Williamson at glasgow.ac.uk
Sat May 2 20:56:54 PDT 2015

Dear Richard, Andrew and everyone,
My standpoint would be that given in blue
Dear Richard,
You have raised important questions:

  1.  can you cut a photon in 1/2?
     *   not with a pair of scissors, but it can be done
     *   if so, how does its nature change?
  2.  can you 'rectify' a photon?
     *   can this give only the positive OR the negative fields diverging from each component?
     *   if so, how do you do it?
     *   if so, how does its nature change?
  3.  If you can split or rectify a photon so that all + charge is in one part and all - charge in the other:
     *   are the parts still photons?
     *   are they stable over time and space as the the neutral photon is?
     *   If so, under what conditions? (or are they unconditionally stable for some condition?)
     *   if the condition fails, what happens to the charged photon?
     *   Does a particular condition exist similar to that of a neutron. In free space it is not stable. In a nucleus it is.

  1.  can you cut a photon in 1/2?
     *   I would say no. If the definition of a photon is a single exchange event not so by definition
     *   if so, how does its nature change? . Half a photon is a different photon.
  2.  can you 'rectify' a photon?
     *   Not directly -yet– you need to create a particle pair
     *   if so, how do you do it? not easily – you would need to get it to low enough energy to get inside it. We have neither the fast enough technology to do this nor the (extremely robust) materials required. You need (at least) a neutron star density to start thinking about doing this
     *   if so, how does its nature change? Its an electron –proton pair (of course! – Look around you!)
  3.  If you can split or rectify a photon so that all + charge is in one part and all - charge in the other:
     *   are the parts still photons? No
     *   are they stable over time and space as the the neutral photon is? Yes, manifestly.
     *   If so, under what conditions? (or are they unconditionally stable for some condition?) Under condition that they cannot decay to a lighter configuration with the same topology.
     *   if the condition fails, what happens to the charged photon? Mu

I guess that I have assumed general relativity is required for photon stability from the beginning. Distortion of space is required to change the local refractive index for solitonic self-focusing of the photon to give a photon its stability. I would say that a charged photon is only stable in an electron or positron. They can appear to be independent (e.g. when the wormhole breaks, becomes delocalized), but spin momentum (as a vortex?) is conserved and it can reform (as a wormhole) or achieve stability (in a less-concentrated form) in a net-neutral environment.
Does a particular condition exist similar to that of a neutron. In free space it is not sta
I would never consider a photon to be charged, unless it is constrained as a lepton.
Agreed
This includes my extension of leptons as the building blocks of all real matter (perhaps including quarks). They might have short term existence and, if a source can be found/made and if they are actively sought, then they might be found. I do not know of any hints that would support their existence. However, this is the same problem with cold fusion or populated deep Dirac levels. They could be produced all of the time and we would never know.
Andrew

- John Williamson.