[General] whispering gallery

Andrew Meulenberg mules333 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 18:45:47 PDT 2015

I have not read the *Science* article below yet. However, the theme is
important to us when placed in the photonic realm. In the electron realm
mentioned here, it can lead to x-ray lasers (a patent I never wrote) and to
sonoluminescence and sonofusion (papers I never completed). In the photonic
realm, it leads to the ability to measure standing waves in a unique
structure (overlays of photons in the same direction rather than in
opposing directions) and to the concept of confining light to form photons.
In the nuclear realm, it leads to virtual particle concepts and, perhaps,
even the strong force.

It is a highly underutilized concept with both immense practical and
theoretical applications.

Andrew

A circular route to confine electrons
Ian S. Osborne
<http://www.sciencemag.org/search?author1=Ian+S.+Osborne&sortspec=date&submit=Submit>

Physical barriers are used to confine waves. Whether it is harbor walls for
sea waves, a glass disk for light, or the "whispering gallery" circular
chamber walls in St. Paul's Cathedral for sound, the principle of
confinement--reflection--is the same. Zhao *et al.* used that same principle
to confine electrons in a nanoscale circular cavity in graphene. Periodic
patterns within the cavity were associated with an electronic wave version
of whispering gallery modes. The tunability of the cavity size may provide
a route for the manipulation of electrons in graphene and similar
materials.

*Science*, this issue p. 672
<http://www.sciencemag.org/lookup/doi/10.1126/science.aaa7469>