[General] SU(2) equation set

John Williamson John.Williamson at glasgow.ac.uk
Wed Nov 11 05:17:45 PST 2015

Dear David,

Mu. "Putting things in" in a symptom of the current disease in physics. The first question is anyway:which SU(2)? The standard model plonks in lots of them .. spin. isospin, lepton number ... loads more. It also sticks in a U(1) and a couple of SU(3)'s (that of "colour" and "flavour"). it is often stated that the standard model is U(1) CROSS SU(2) CROSS SU(3). Not so, It is more like U(1) EM CROSS U(1) weak CROSS SU(2) spin CROSS SU(2) ln CROSS SU(2)  CROSS SU(3) flavour CROSS SU(3) colour cross  ... Each time you plonk in another a-priori "group" you add levels of complexity to the starting point, such that the standard model as it stands has about 50 of them. Also, putting in any group a-priori then removes the possibility of explaining where the group has come from. Any time any experimentalist finds a new symmettry - whammo - some daft theorist whacks it in as a starting point. One does not want to stick them in - one wants to derive them.  I get SU(2) spin out, already. Why would I ever, then, want to put it in?

Regards, John.