[General] SU(2) equation set

John Williamson John.Williamson at glasgow.ac.uk
Sun Nov 15 09:21:18 PST 2015

Dear All,

I think Joakim makes some important points. It is fine to express certain aspects in a simpler basis, but not fine to adopt a simpler basis a-priori. We have to move towards a single mathematics not a mish-mash as at present. We need to, eventually solve Hilbert's sixth problem.
The problem, in my view, with incorporating simpler systems - such as one does when one makes the ansatz U(1) x SU(2) X SU(3), in the standard model, for example, is that one has already abstracted too much out to be able to describe the ORIGIN of the U(1) or SU(2) or SU(3) one has put in a-priori. Not good. Maybe neccessary - but these are the FUNDAMENTALS one is messing with. Get the fundamentals wrong and there will be much bullshit down the line. Look around you!

Now the vector potential ansatz for EM is indeed quite powerful, but if one insists on it ( as many do) one has already squeezed oneself into a system too small to describe everything at once. It is ok to find solutions in a more general system, decide where a simple vector potential may be enough (in the free-space Lorenz gauge it is enough – as one can prove). Now I could spend time proving this. The next job would be to show that one can get the Coulomb gauge for perfectly spherically symmetric solution – in the frame where the solution is symmetric. Not hard, but again – so what?  An endless string of (next to) worthless publications taking one no further along the actual hard path.

The term d²A=0 is important, of course, but it is only one term in the more general equation d(dA) = 0, which is only a small part of the equation d(dG) = 0, which encompasses BOTH ²A=0 AND the full set of Maxwell equations. The wave equation for the vector potential, for the electromagnetic field and for the spin density. All at once. At least that is the idea.

Now you make an important point that new things should correspond with older things in certain limits. Right, I agree entirely. But, if better, it should also say where and why and within what limitations they may work. I have no intention, nor any time for, doing “me too” physics.

Now Chip you say,

This idea of modeling the electron from a photon when we know so little about light and whether photons are real, or just illusions caused by the quantization of matter, has troubled me too.

And

For some time I had been of the opinion that it is possible that light is simply continuous radiation.  In some ways I would be delighted if we found that is the case.  However it now seems to me that there simply has to be a form of quantization in order for light to display any spin angular momentum.  So in my personal view I am back to considering the “photon” to actually be a quantized energy form (no matter how distasteful that is to me).

I have said this before but will say it again. My new equations ARE continuous. They describe continuous electromagnetism. They are not a-priori quantized AT ALL.  This is the kind of thing Chandra keeps saying – and he is absolutely right. An enegineer (you or I then) one does not use photons if one wants to engineer something, but the Maxwell equations. They are simply of far more practical use. Agreed!

The new thing is that the new equations allow only quantized TRAVELLING wave solutions over long distances. The systems are completely free in the “near field”. They also describe (one version of) Phat photons. I also predict fractionally quantised photons from fractional QHE emitters and absorbers (see “experimental tests” in the papers posted). If one could find unquantised, coherent sources they would predict unquantised coherent electromagnetic radiation as well

Something else. Many folk seem to have got the idea that Martin and I are working on the base notion that that electron is a localized photon. Not any more. That was indeed so in our nearly two decade old paper, but we were well aware then that basing a photon on an unknown electron or an electron on an unknown photon was equally dodgy.

Since then we have been trying, night and day in my case, to develop a theory which derives BOTH the photon AND the electron from a deeper underlying theory. On this we work together, then apart, each trying different routes and then merging and arguing them over decades of refinement. Others, such as Stephen have been involved from time to time as well. Martin is currently looking at a development of the Bateman method, together with some (pretty spectacular) new stuff of his own. I am attempting to work from a new, linear set of equations of motion for light and matter for mass, current, field and spin (eqs 6-13). The input, for me, are not photon or electron, but space, time and root-energy. Not a photon in sight – a priori. The “photon” solution, eq 21, comes out of proper consideration of the (relativistic) nature of space and time.be  It cannot be derived, or even written down, in an algebra simpler than that used. Look at it! Likewise the “electron” solution relates, not to the addition of a particle, but to the addition of a rest mass-term to electromagnetism. That is all.

You know, no-one is a one-trick pony. That Einstein (or Bell, or de Broglie, or Dirac, or whoever) said, or believed this or that at one time or another in his very long career is made a lot of, but does not mean much. He, like us, made a lot of mistakes as well- sometimes had to retrace his steps a long way. He even had certain of his ideas “disproved” by this or that experiment, where later he turned out to have been right in the first place.

That the electron may be a localized photon can be taken a surprisingly long way – it may even turn out to be “true” in some sense. The paper was fun, but it is not, and was never going to be, the whole story (even if it proves to be part of the story). In any event, it is not just quite where Martin or myself are at the present moment. Both of us believe that neither the electron nor the photon is fundamental or elementary. I will let Martin speak for himself, for me space, time and (square-root) energy are the starting points. Just and no more.

Now there are others in the group who have gone a lot further than I in opening new ground in quite other directions (wait until you see Viv’s book!). My focus has been on the fundamentals of space, time and energy. This is because I completely agree with Al on this one, the fundamentals are important. I hate with a passion the pseudo-clever methods of putting in super-complicated starting positions no-one can understand. Proof by intimidation. I hate untestable theories – I think they hold up progress rather than make it. I know it may look as though that is what I am doing myself (sorry folk!). I’m not putting in complicated groups or ridiculous renormalization schemes, or unphysical point particles, or mad stuff not observed in any experiment. At least not as far as I know. My theory IS testable and refutable by experiment. If (when) we hit any of those I hope it can be rescued – but maybe not. Martin and I have started from ground-zero before (Stephen was there – he can tell you!). What I am playing with is just 4D spacetime and a (slightly extended) concept of energy. I’m just trying to have fun seeing how far I can get with that, at the moment.

Regards, John W.