[General] Wilczek's electron

Richard Gauthier richgauthier at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 22:46:57 PDT 2016

Hello Andrew,

     I think that you are making good progress in your analysis of continuous electron-positron pair production from an energetic photon (greater than 1.022 MeV), and of electron-positron annihilation also.
Since you make frequent reference to “rest mass” and “relativistic mass” in your article, there is a good summary article on the usage of these terms in “On the concept of relativistic mass” by Peter M. Brown at http://arxiv.org/abs/0709.0687 which is worth a look.

     Recently I showed ( https://www.academia.edu/24307968/A_Photon_Has_Inertial_Mass_hv_c_2_in_Mirror_Reflection_and_Compton_Scattering ) that a photon may be considered to have inertial mass M=hf/c^2 through a simple analysis of momentum changes in a photon being reflected from a mirror or from an electron. This latest result is consistent with my proposal that the inertial mass m (and also the rest mass m) of a resting electron is explained by its being composed of a circulating spin-1/2 charged photon of circulating momentum p = hf/c = Eo/c  = mc. A ordinary photon with energy E=mc^2 and momentum p=mc has inertial mass M=m and rest mass 0, while a circulating spin-1/2 charged photon with energy E=mc^2 and momentum p=mc has inertial mass M=m and also rest mass m when it is a circulating photon forming an electron, as derived in (https://www.academia.edu/23184598/Origin_of_the_Electrons_Inertia_and_Relativistic_Energy_Momentum_Equation_in_the_Spin-_Charged_Photon_Electron_Model ).

      How does this relate to your work on continuous e-p production? You speak of an electron and positron’s “mass” (meaning rest mass) and charge being formed continuously in electron-positron pair production from a single photon in the vicinity of a charged nucleus. I think your analysis would benefit from the hypothesis that the evolving rest masses of the electron and positron are due to the continuous curling-up of the momentum mc (or more) of the two spin-1/2  photons that are produced from a single photon (of energy E=1.022 MeV or more) during e-p pair production. As these two spin-1/2 charged photons (produced from the spin-1 photon) curl up continuously after evolving from the spin-1 photon, they also continuously generate their rest masses (which both go continuously from 0 to m) and their electric charges (which go from 0 to -e and +e). But all this time that the electron and positron and their rest masses and charges are evolving continuously, the  spin-1/2 charged photons maintain the magnitude of their original momenta each of mc (or slightly more) and inertial masses M=m (or slightly more), from the time they are formed from the single photon to and including the time they are fully curled up to form the electron and a positron. The curling-up process gives the proto-electron and proto-positron their gradually increasing rest masses and their charges, while the inertial masses of the spin-1/2 photons are unchanged during this process.

     Richard