[General] Wilczek's electron

davidmathes8 at yahoo.com davidmathes8 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 10:19:08 PDT 2016

Andrew and Albrecht,
A few comments and references
1. In the "spinning ball of charge" description, Wilczek alludes to the Arnowitt, Deser, and Misner (ADM) model from the 1960 where some of the first efforts in quantum gravity were prominent.

Gravitational-Electromagnetic Coupling and the Classical Self-Energy Problem

Phys. Rev. 120 – Published 1 October 1960

Gravitational-Electromagnetic Coupling and the Classical Self-Energy Problem
Interior Schwarzschild Solutions and Interpretation of Source Terms

For completeness, the 1962 ADM reference is included.[gr-qc/0405109] The Dynamics of General Relativity

ADM formalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    A couple of papers that may be of use to this discussion generated by Wilczek's article include

Phys. Rev. D 77, 104018 – Published 16 May 2008
ADM canonical formalism for gravitating spinning objects

 F. Rohrlich  The dynamics of a charged sphere and the electron    "The little known relativistic equations of motion of a surface-charged sphere are presented.Their proof and validity limits are discussed."
2. Wilczek's vague reference to "elementary electromagnetism" at first seems to be Maxwell equations, and yet is suggestive of Quantum Field Theory. He appears to ignore gravitational coupling and in doing so avoid the issues of quantum gravity
3. The issue of the electric dipole results in speculations that might be classically explained by zitterbewegung with the 720 degree cycle.
Where did the electric dipole go?
A multipole solution might result in a cancellation of the electric dipoles within the electron and thereby supporting existing evidence.  Quadrupoles might respond to experimental efforts in such a way as to redirect any dipole moment.
In any electron model for zbw the electric dipole flips every 1/2 cycle, and in doing so, results in a net dipole of near zero. One approach has been to use a circulating charged particle to topologically describe the observed geometry resulting in various toroid models (Williamson/van der Mark, Gautier, and others).

A difficulty within the confines of an electron might be that spacetime is curved. Speculatively, if one considers at least within the electron a variable speed of light (VSL) theory, then there may be a subluminal dipole and a superluminal dipole. A minor issue is superluminal electrodynamics.
>From A. Einstein 1951 autobiography
    "Enough of this. Newton, forgive me; you found the only way which, in your age, was just aboutpossible for a man of highest thought- and creative power. The concepts, which you created, areeven today still guiding our thinking in physics, although we now know that they will have to bereplaced by others farther removed from the sphere of immediate experience, if we aim at aprofounder understanding of relationships."

Best
David