[General] Gravity

Albrecht Giese genmail at a-giese.de
Fri Aug 26 06:57:49 PDT 2016

Hi John D:

it is only a little thing but I think it is anyway important, so here again:

The equation c=1/√(ε₀μ₀) is mathematically correct but physically a bit
confusing. One should better say: √μ₀=1/c√(ε₀). Reason is that the speed
of light c is not defined by ε₀μ₀, but μ₀ (i.e. magnetism) is caused and
so defined by the limitation of the speed of light. It is known since
long time that magnetism is a seeming side effect of the electric field
in the way that temporal offsets at a moving electric field with their
relativistic effects cause the impression that there is something
different than the electric field, i.e. magnetism.

For those not familiar with this fact I refer to the well known book
"Special Relativity" of P. French, and for more details to the book:
"Classical Electromagnetism via Relativity" by W. G. Rosser.

It is true that the speed of light varies e.g. in a gravitational field.
And so the permeability has to change in a gravitational field.

I fully agree to your statement that the variation of c in a
gravitational field causes the gravitational attraction. That is (also)
my model of gravity, but I did not notice before that someone else has
the same understanding.

Regards
Albrecht Giese