[General] Gravitational Wave - Vacuum Energy Paper Submitted

John Macken jmacken at stmarys-ca.edu
Wed Aug 31 11:40:37 PDT 2016

Hi Joakim,

My answer to your comment will be broken into 3 sections.  The first
section is an overview that talks about the background that led to the
paper that you read.  The section in dark blue answers one of your
questions.  The third section in dark red gives a link to my ResearchGate
page which has various papers available for download.

The previously attached article (Gravitational Waves Verify the Existence
of Vacuum Energy) builds on a series of articles and a 400 page book draft
that I have been working on for about 14 years.  In fact, I would say that
this article fills the critical gap in the theory.  I took an entirely
different approach than everyone else in the group.  Everyone else starts
with what I call the "top down" approach to physics.  For example, they
attempt to show that it is possible to explain an electron as a double loop
photon.  This starts at the top and attempts to reach something more basic.
For example, it might lead to a rationalization about how an electron
exhibits negative electric charge. However, this is using one unknown to
explain other unknowns.  What is a photon? What is physically happening to
spacetime to create a charged particle or an electric field? How does an
electron create the gravitational effect that we call curved spacetime?  I
have made people in this group very mad when I have criticized the
description of an electron as a confined photon.  I point out that this
reasoning would allow me to say that a photon is a liberated electron.  Have
we made any progress since they are both unknowns?

The approach that I have taken is to see if it is possible to develop a
theory of everything from the bottom up.  I start by examining whether it
is possible to develop a model of the universe using only 1 component.  The
standard model has 17 named particles, 17 overlapping fields and 25
dimensionless constants. This works well on one level, but it is also chaos.
Furthermore, it does not even include gravity. My single building block is
4 dimensional spacetime.  Obviously, in order to create the universe as we
know it, I had to use the quantum field theory version of the vacuum which
is filled with zero-point energy.  However, this is just a name that is
given to an unknown energy density that is 10120 greater energy density
than the critical energy density of the observable universe.

This approach that uses only the properties of spacetime is very
restrictive.  For example, the energy in the vacuum must be allowed by the
uncertainty principle. Other people can merely use the term “field” without
attempting to give a physical explanation.  However, if I am saying that
everything must be built out of 4 dimensional spacetime, then even fields
must be explained using this single building block.

I am now going to skip and answer one of your questions.  You ask whether
anyone else has made the proposal that gravitational waves (GWs) can be
detected by monitoring the polarization of laser beams. The answer is, to
my knowledge, no one else has made this proposal.  This is an original idea
that is developed from the bottom up approach which requires that I explain
electric fields as a distortion of spacetime.  This is covered in the other
technical papers.  I developed a new constant of nature that I call the
“charge conversion constant” that has units of meters per
coulomb where type of distortion of spacetime has units of meter.  This was
developed logically and has then been tested.  It has passed every test
that I can devise. The most surprising result of this testing process was
that when I converted the impedance of free space Zo ≈ 377 Ω encountered by
electromagnetic radiation to a property of spacetime using the charge
conversion constant, the conversion yields the impedance of spacetime Zs = c
3/G.  This is an amazing result because it says that electromagnetic
radiation experiences the same impedance as GWs.  This implies that
electromagnetic radiation is a quantized wave that propagates in the
spacetime field (vacuum energy), just like GWs.  As I examined the physical
implications of this, I concluded that a GW should turn the spacetime field
into an oscillating birefringent medium for light. I first made the
proposal in my 2013 EM  paper, but I decided to include it again in this
paper because I expect this paper to get greater distribution.

It is true that the LIGO interferometer is using horizontally polarized
light, so it is making use of this oscillating birefringence.
However, LIGO is ignoring the polarization effect and just detecting the
fringe shift of an interferometer.  There would be much less acoustic noise
and a simplified construction if the experiment eliminated the difficult
interferometer and just used the polarization.

If you are interested in more information, You can get articles and the
book from my ResearchGate page at:
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/John_Macken

I suggest reading in the following order:

 Gravitational Waves Verify the Existence of Vacuum Energy (previously
attached)

Spacetime Based Foundation of Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity

Energetic Spacetime: The New Aether

The Universe Is Only Spacetime   (book)

I skipped the article titled “Spacetime-Based Model of EM radiation”
because most of this article is in the book.  However, the prediction about
detecting GWs with polarization is at the end of this article.

John Macken