[General] (no subject)

Albrecht Giese genmail at a-giese.de
Tue Jan 26 05:24:39 PST 2016

Hi Chip,

light has also inertia. If a photon is reflected from a mirror, it
applies a force to the mirror. That is inertia. And in this way it also
transfers momentum to it.

Momentum is a specific application of inertia, nothing else. In fact,
inertial mass and momentum are the same physical phenomenon. Why do the
physicists use different names for this phenomenon? It has a simple
reason which is very common in physics. In history, physical quantities
have got importance to the humans in the moment when there appears a
conservation of that quantity at an interaction. If we now look at
inertia, then we observe conservation. In some instances we observe
conservation at an application, which we call "momentum", and in some
other applications we observe conservation of "mass".  This is the
background for these two different uses of the same physical phenomenon.

What is energy? That is also a notion which was invented because
conservation was observed. Nothing more fundamental, as I believe.

Albrecht

Am 25.01.2016 um 22:13 schrieb Chip Akins:

> Hi Albrecht
>
> But light has momentum.  Perhaps momentum is fundamentally the cause
> of inertia, and therefore more fundamental than inertia.
>
> We do not just see momentum from material objects but also from energy
> propagating through space.
>
> So I think you may have it backwards.
>
> Chip

---