[General] double photon cycle, subjective v objective realities

Dr Grahame Blackwell grahame at starweave.com
Fri Jul 15 11:06:04 PDT 2016

Hi Chip,

I have to say, I love this post!
[Yes, I have to 'fess up that one reason that I like it so much is because I've been thinking along very similar lines - part of what I want to include in my next more general response.]

In my time I've been involved in a number of team-based software engineering projects, including leadership of a few big ones (my CEng is for software engineering).  One of the major developments in such endeavours (generally, not just in my camp) was the introduction of a (fairly abstract) concept labelled 'egoless programming': different members of the team had responsibility for different aspects of the task, but of course it was essential for those elements to fit together.  One major impediment to this, it became clear, was if one member of the team thought 'their' bit of coding was particularly neat, particularly clever.  At the end of the day, the ideal solution is one in which no team member has gone overboard in trying to imprint their personality onto it - not always easy to achieve, sometimes the odd team member would drop out in disgust at 'not being properly valued' (usually an ego thing); but the end product could generally be reckoned to be better than the sum of all its parts.

'Egoless science' may likewise prove to be a difficult goal - but if we in this team can achieve it who knows what might come of it!?

Best,