[General] inertia

Chip Akins chipakins at gmail.com
Tue May 3 04:26:04 PDT 2016

Hi Wolf

John Archibald Wheler wrote, "It is my opinion that everything must be based
on a simple idea. And it is my opinion that this idea, once we have finally
discovered it, will be so compelling, so beautiful, that we will say to one
another, yes, how could it have been any different."

It seems that energy propagates through space at the speed of light, and is
confined in principally circular topologies to form elementary particles.

The following is a partial list of some relevant discovery.

Coulomb's law was published in 1784.

Faraday published his law of induction in 1831.

Gauss formulated his "flux theorem" in 1835.

Maxwell formulated his field equations in the early 1860's and published in
1865.

George Johnstone Stoney noted that electric charge is quantized in 1881.

In 1898, Planck recognized that action is also quantized.

Einstein proposed the existence of the photon in 1905 and showed that a
photon carries momentum in 1909. His work on the photoelectric effect gave
us the first indication that light had both wavelike and particle-like
properties. Also in 1905 Einstein proposed that there is a mass-energy
equivalence. And further, in 1907 and 1911 Einstein showed that E=hv
(Planck's law) was a fundamental law of physics.

Arnold Sommerfeld introduced the fine-structure constant in 1916.

The Compton Effect was discovered in 1923 at Washington University in St.
Louis, further illustrating the discrete nature of photons.

Regarding the Compton Effect, Wikipedia states, "The effect is important
because it demonstrates that light cannot be explained purely as a
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave> wave phenomenon.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomson_scattering> Thomson scattering, the
classical theory of an  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_wave>
electromagnetic wave scattered by charged particles, cannot explain low
intensity shifts in wavelength (classically, light of sufficient intensity
for the electric field to accelerate a charged particle to a relativistic
speed will cause radiation-pressure recoil and an associated Doppler shift
of the scattered light,
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_scattering#cite_note-2> [2] but the
effect would become arbitrarily small at sufficiently low light intensities
regardless of wavelength). Light must behave as if it consists of particles,
if we are to explain low-intensity Compton scattering. Compton's experiment
convinced physicists that light can behave as a stream of particle-like
objects (quanta), whose energy is proportional to the light wave's
frequency."

Given these simple starting conditions, mass energy equivalence E=mc2, and
adding the premise that light is in the form of photons, quantized radiation
obeying the Planck principle E=hv, and then considering the rest of the
discoveries mentioned above, we are now able to construct the idea which
John Archibald Wheeler, Einstein, and so many before us sought.

But before we can do that we have to realize that we have gotten many things
right, but not everything, in our physical theories so far.

As it turns out, some of the things we misunderstood are exactly the things
which were keeping us from being able to put the rest of the pieces of this
puzzle together correctly.

There is a simple side effect of light and matter being comprised of the
same speed-of-light energy. That side effect is a form of relativistic
transformation which must occur as a result. This form of relativity is an
unavoidable result of matter being made of the same light-speed energy light
is made of. This form of relativity is caused by the mass-energy
equivalence, and the "constancy" of the speed of light in the medium of
space.

Mass and energy are equivalent simply because mass is made of energy. And
mass is specifically made of confined light-speed energy.

If matter is made of the same energy that light is made of, and the energy
which circulates in matter can only move at a fixed speed, the speed of
light, then when you move matter through space, it would cause the
trajectory of the energy in matter to change, this changes the "shape" of
the moving matter, making the matter shorter in the direction of motion.
This has the effect of contracting the length of matter when it is moving
very fast.  And this is simply due to matter being made of the same energy
moving at the same (confined) velocity as the energy in light. The math
normally used to represent this length contraction is really quite simple as
well.

Due to the Pythagorean Theorem, a 3D Euclidian form, we traditionally
calculate this length contraction using the velocity of the moving object
and the velocity of light. The traditional form of this contraction formula
is:

 Where Lv is the length with velocity as observed by a "stationary"
observer, Lrest is the length of the material object when at rest (not
moving), v is the velocity of the object, and c is the speed of light.

This relativistic transformation occurs in simple 3D Euclidian space.

Time, as we measure it, is the rate at which matter can exchange energy. If
we consider a clock which consists of two mirrors separated by a fixed
distance, with light bouncing back and for the between the two mirrors, and
the mirrors facing each other perpendicular to the direction of motion. Then
to measure time we count the number of bounces back and forth.  When the
mirrors are still, light simply travels the distance between the mirrors.
But when the mirrors are in motion, light must travel at an angle,
increasing the distance, and reducing the number of bounces as viewed by a
"stationary" observer. This is because the light must travel farther when
the mirrors are in motion, because the vector distance the light has to
travel between mirrors is farther due to their motion through space. We can
know how much the moving clocks will slow by using Pythagorean Theorem.  A
traditional form of that equation is:

 Where Tv is the time measured for the moving object from the stationary
frame, and Trest is the time measured in the "stationary" frame. Again this
relativistic transformation occurs in simple 3D Euclidian space.

These relativistic transformations and their causes are unavoidable, so
there can be no other form of, or cause for, relativity. Only this one
specific form of relativity, dictated by the properties of nature, can be
the correct form. In a later section we will delve into the specific details
and implications of this very specific form of relativity.

So let us look at Planck's quantization of action.  Planck's rule  applies
to photons as well as elementary fermionic (mass-carrying) particles. This
constant h is referring to some kind of quantization. The simplest and most
stable form for such quantization is circular motion. So let us assume,
given the stability of the particles of nature, that there is a radius which
is described by the application of this quantization. For this example let's
use the photon. So rather than assuming that the photon is a simple planar
wave without spin, nature and experiment have shown us that we need to
consider a spin component in the photon which is transverse to the direction
of travel. That could simply mean that the single photon is a rotational
wave.  A wave which spins as it moves forward.

So using that approach of a rotational wave, we can calculate the mean
transport radius for the energy in the spinning wave of a photon. We will
use the excellent work of so many before us to arrive at a starting point
for calculating the structure of the photon.

As we mentioned, it was shown that a photon has momentum, (Einstein 1909).

That momentum is expressed as.

So if our photon has a frequency of, then its wavelength will be .

And if the photon always has a spin angular momentum of:

, where, then it must always make one revolution in one wavelength, so the
mean transport radius of the wave is:

So:

The energy in this wave has momentum p:

So there must be a force acting against that momentum, confining the wave to
this circular path, quantizing the wave.

The magnitude of that force is an important key to understanding the
quantization of light and matter.

So let us calculate that force:

We will start with the standard method for calculating centripetal force.

And since our velocity is the speed of light:

And using the mass-energy equivalence so that we can then write:

So the confinement force, the quantization force in a photon is  and the
effective spin radius  of the photon is just the distance where the
centripetal force caused by momentum and the confinement force are balanced.

The field strength of this force may then be: Or  depending on whether the
force is actually between regions of the fields defined by the diameter of
the mean energy transport, or between the center region of the particle and
the region of the field at the mean energy transport radius. Intuition
indicates that it is more likely that the opposite sides of the fields
interact to provide confinement.

Without this confinement force a photon could not display particle like
properties, it would only be a wave. Without this confinement the wave would
disperse fairly rapidly and generally become quite weak with distance at the
rate of.

So we will argue that without this confinement we would not see the effects
of individual photons. There would be no wave particle duality, and the
force required to confine elementary particles would not exist, so
elementary particles themselves would not exist, including the electron.
Without this force we would not have Planck's constant, for it is this force
which is the cause for Planck's constant.

The most theoretically economical approach to this set of observations of
nature is to conclude that this force does exist, and is the cause for
Planck's constant, which holds true for photons and elementary fermionic
particles.

We have come very close to realizing this "simple idea of how the universe
works" in the past. For example the "fictitious" value of Planck Charge is
apparently not related directly to electric charge, but rather to this force
we have been discussing. Take a look at the following equations:

Planck Charge:

The confinement force:

The elementary electric charge e:

The force of two elementary charges separated by the distance r:

The ratio of the force to the force:

So that now, under the circumstances of elementary charges separated by the
distance r, we can show:

And by comparison:

For some time it has been evident that a strong force exists in the nucleus
of atoms. But from the discussion above we can see that the existence of
Planck's constant as a quantization of action demonstrates to us that a
strong force likely exists in all particles. And since this strong force is
likely present in all particles we have the prevalence of the fine structure
in so many ways in physics. Because the fine structure is simply the ratio
of the strength of two forces which are ever-present. Understanding this
strong force present in all particles removes part of the mystery of the
fine structure constant from our understanding of physics.

So I think that, yes, there is a thread to these discussions which is
getting closer to the truth where particles are made of something
circulating.  But I think the thing that is circulating is the form of
light-speed energy which exists in space and makes photons and all
particles.

Then we have a simple mass-energy equivalence, and a simple cause for
Planck's constant, the fine structure constant, etc.

Chip