[General] Gravity

Albrecht Giese phys at a-giese.de
Fri Sep 2 05:25:40 PDT 2016

Hi Grahame,

I am sorry that I did not know your paper about gravity and so did not
refer to it. I shall read it.

Regarding exchange particles I do not find this model or assumption so
complicated. And please note that exchange particles are different from
virtual particles.

I have the following picture of exchange particles and I think that the
understanding of Main Stream is not so different. An elementary charge
sends out a continuous stream of such exchange particles which are
mass-less and move with c. For a mono charge the density of this stream
is independent of the direction. The density, however, decreases with
increasing distance from the charge with 1/r^2. That is simply caused by
geometry. They move with c and the move is permanent, so until infinity.
If one exchange particle hits another charge of the same kind, then it
is absorbed and a certain amount of momentum is transferred to the other
charge. This momentum is either attracting, i.e. towards the direction
of the incoming x-particle, or repelling, i.e. opposite. That depends on
the sign of the two charges, the charge which has emitted the x-particle
and the particle which absorbs the x-particle.

One point where my picture is different from Main Stream is that the
exchange particles have to carry the information of the sign of the
sending charge. For an electric charge this should mean that there are
two kinds of photons, if photons are assumed to be the exchange
particles of the electric charge. So in my understanding this "photon"
is of a different type than the photon which is normally assumed to
transport EM-energy. - Always when I meet theoretical physicists I ask
them this question how a photon as an exchange particle can transport
the information of the sign. Up to now I never received a satisfying
answer.

One complication which I see is the housekeeping of energy. Every
exchange particle which flies off has the ability to perform work if it
meets another charge. Most will never meet a charge so this ability is
not used. But if it meets then the energy balance is correct. And the
other x-particles? They transport the ability to transfer energy, but
the energy housekeeping in its summary obviously is not violated.
Conclusion? I think that the exchange particles violate the conservation
of energy. One may ask: why not? I do not see any argument for the
conviction that energy is always conserved, even on the smallest scales.

Best regards
Albrecht