[General] light light interactions

Roychoudhuri, Chandra chandra.roychoudhuri at uconn.edu
Wed Aug 30 11:21:42 PDT 2017

“If 2 identical particles, each described by a wave function, collide head on, do they reflect from each other, go thru each other, neither, or both?”
Andrew: I do not know whether you have deliberately set up a “trick question”, or not. QM is not matured enough and our particle-particle scattering data are not exhaustive enough to answer your question in any definitive or closed form.

1.      Colliding particles will do many things; only some of which have been tabulated by the humans! Defining the Impact parameter and the force of interactions for a specific pair of particles is still an on-going research: Starting from Rutherford’s Alpha-Gold foil scattering to any of the latest particle-particle scattering, the impact parameter is a critical issue in determining the interaction process and the nature of the resultant product. And it is very tough for us to quantify this impact parameters, whether zero or, say, 100 nuclear diameter. And for most elementary particles, we are still struggling to find their “effective” diameters, which is different from interaction to interaction. It is an observed fact that “Quantum Mechanical Tunneling” is real. So, it may not even be impossible for certain interactions, one particle may even pass through the other. You have strong background in Nuclear Fission/Fusion. Why does fast neutrons pass right through U-235 nuclei, while slow neutron cause fission?

2.      Wave function does not make a particle a finite or a plane wave: I am thoroughly baffled with the original and still continuing interpretation of Schrodinger exp[-2‘pi’vt], as a “plane wave”, when we know that all atoms and material bodies, built out of elementary particles, always are of finite physical size. The expression, exp[-2‘pi’vt], generically represent the harmonic oscillation-component of any oscillator, propagating wave or a stationary particle. It is the amplitude which we need to understand and visualize. For any propagating wave, we now understand what this “amplitude” physically means – the physical strength of the physical parameter which is oscillating. This is why, for particles, I have proposed, they constitute localized self-looped oscillation of the stationary Complex Tension Field (CTF; old ether in new “bottle”), which constitute our cosmic space. CTF holds 100% of the cosmic energy. EM waves and particles are different kinds of excitations of this same CTF; the energy still resides in the CTF. This is why the law of Conservation of Energy is the supreme rule in our Cosmic System. Uncertainty Principle only indicates that our QM, in spite of its grand successes, is definitely an incomplete/insufficient theory to explain our universe.

I am sorry that I have failed to give you a very succinct answer.

Chandra.