[General] Photon Structure

Roychoudhuri, Chandra chandra.roychoudhuri at uconn.edu
Fri Feb 3 16:09:43 PST 2017

Hello John Hodge:

It is important for you to repeat your double-slit (please, choose ~100 micron each) experiment with a broad collimated beam so the slits are illuminated with a flat-phase wave front, such that both the slits are illuminated by precisely equal amplitudes. Then systematically record with a quantitative CCD camera moving, step-by-step, from the very near field, all the way to the far-field. It is of critical importance to appreciate that the lateral near field patterns are extremely complex and they also evolve quite rapidly with the distance from the slits. [All basic optics books present such fringes, including my “Causal Physics”; now low cost paperback available through Amazon.] Only the far-field gives the simple cos-squared fringes, but multiplied by the single slit pattern sinc-squared fringes. You need to learn to re-produce such fringes as they have been done by eminent scientists for well over two centuries.

Most of the eminent theoretical scientists of Quantum Mechanics have consistently neglected to recognize that the rapid evolution of near field patterns with distance is quite complex. They jump into Quantum Mechanizing the far-field cos-squared fringes, neglecting even the sinc-squared envelope!! All these distance-evolving complex patterns are precisely and quantitatively modeled by Huygens-Fresnel “wave theory” integral. As an eternally skeptic scientist, I would not say that Huygens-Fresnel integral is the final diffraction theory of light as waves. I already have noted in my mind some of the discrepancies in the basic postulates behind this integral. However, up to now, this is the best integral that models optical diffraction that I have seen.

To demolish Huygens-Fresnel wave diffraction integral; you need to come up with a better self-consistent one.  You may be able to substantiate my lingering doubt about the H-F integral.

Thanks,

Chandra.