[General] Photon Structure

ANDREW WORSLEY member at aworsley.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 02:33:57 PST 2017

Hi John,

Nice paper - where are you hoping to publish it.

Andrew

Message Received: Feb 03 2017, 08:30 PM
From: "John Macken"
To: "'Nature of Light and Particles - General Discussion'" , phys at a-giese.de
Subject: Re: [General] Photon Structure

Al, Chip, Albrecht, Hodge, Andrew, and John D.

My post yesterday made the point that angular momentum comes only in discrete units of ½ ħ. This was defied as “strong quantization” because angular
momentum comes only in discrete units. The energy of a photon is defined as “weakly quantized” because even though all the energy of a photon is absorbed as
a unit, the energy is not quantized into discrete units like angular momentum. In the future, I will attempt to prove that all examples of quantization in the universe
are the result of angular momentum being quantized. This gives particle-like properties to quantized waves.

I will start by examining the concept of a “field”. What is a field? It appears to be a term describing a ghost-like concept that is never given a conceptually
understandable model. Electric fields and magnetic fields have quantifiable energy density, so they must be physical entities which demand testable models.
However, what about the 16 other fields of the standard model? Each named particle of the standard model has as associated field. There is an electron field, a
muon field, a Higgs field, etc. Each named particle is considered to be an “excitation” of its respective field (reference given in the attached paper).

The standard model has 17 overlapping fields existing in the vacuum. This is chaos that screams for simplification. Into this environment, I introduced the
observation that gravitational waves (GWs) are propagating in spacetime and they experience spacetime as being a very stiff elastic medium. If it was possible to
do a Michaelson Morley experiment using GWs, we would find that GWs propagate at the speed of light as seen from all frames of reference. In other words,
spacetime exhibits the property of being a propagation medium with the relativistic properties postulated by Einstein. It is generally thought that Einstein rejected
the concept that the vacuum had a physical content often called the ether or aether. However, only from about 1905 to 1916 did he hold this view. Here is a part
of the attached paper where I give some Einstein quotes.

“Einstein intuitively knew there was a physical component of space. From 1916 until his death he used the terms: “relativistic ether”, “physical space” and “total
field” to express this concept. [29] Here are two representative quotes. In 1934 he said “Physical space and the ether are different terms for the same thing; fields
are physical states of space”. [30] In 1950 Einstein wrote an article for Scientific American where he said, “According to general relativity, the concept of space
detached from any physical content does not exist.” [31].

Today, most physicists hold the opposite view and believe space has no “physical content”. However, it is proposed that failure to recognize the physical
presence of vacuum energy (VE) ignores the largest component of the universe and removes a key element required to conceptually understand the cause of
many of the laws of physics.”

The attached GW paper contains important concepts required to understand the photon model. This paper is currently “under review” by one of The Royal
Society journals. In this paper I analyzed the experimentally observed properties of the GW designated GW150914. These LIGO observations generated the GW
amplitude, frequency, and intensity. Combining these measured properties with speed of light propagation allowed me to calculate the properties of spacetime
encountered by this GW. From this analysis, I obtain equations for the energy density encountered by GWs of any frequency as they propagate through
spacetime. This energy density corresponds to the energy density predicted for the vacuum by quantum field theory when extrapolated to Planck frequency. The
model proposed and tested in this paper is that the vacuum of spacetime is Planck length vacuum fluctuations oscillating at Planck frequency. This sea of
quantum mechanical harmonic oscillators forms the universal field that fills the vacuum of spacetime. All other fields are proposed to be multiple resonances of
this single universal field. I show how these fluctuations generate the correct energy of virtual particles, generate the energy density of black holes and generate
the Friedmann equation for the critical energy density of the universe. In future posts I will show how this model of vacuum energy leads to testable models of
electric fields, charged particles, and photons.

John M.