[General] Photon Structure

Albrecht Giese genmail at a-giese.de
Sun Feb 5 13:57:06 PST 2017

Hi Al,

I have to remind you that the object which I say to be a photon was not
detected by the photoelectric effect but by pair production. The
kinematic parameters of the electron- positron  pair were precisely
determined by observing their path in a magnetic field. This
determination yielded the energy, the momentum, and the point of
conversion and so the exact path of this photon. And, as I wrote, the
energy of the pair reproduced the energy of the electron which
originally caused the photon, with an accuracy of few percent.

Pair production is a localized and short-time process in which no other
particles than these three are involved. It is not possible from this
mechanism that energy from several photons or energy from the
environment is collected. And even if that should happen then one should
observe pairs with an energy which exceeds the maximum energy available
from the original electron source. Which was clearly not the case.

This experiment was performed to check the angular distribution of the
Proton-Compton effect at very small angles. The fact of very small
angles ensured that the interaction of the photon with the proton caused
an extremely small alteration of the energy of the photon. The angles of
the photons after the scattering had to follow a distribution which is
theoretically given (it is the Optical Theorem). So, any unexpected
influences in the detection process of the photon would have spoiled
this distribution.

I am asking you and all, which further facts and results would be needed
to convince everyone that this "photon" was a well defined object and
not a kind of a milky wave.

Regarding de Broglie's pilot wave you are right that he was lacking a
particle model to back this idea. But I think that these days we know
appropriate models, at least my particle model is in my view able to
support this idea.

Ciao, Albrecht

---