[General] On particle radius

Dr Grahame Blackwell grahame at starweave.com
Sun Jan 8 08:32:44 PST 2017

Dear Chip, Vivian, Richard et al.,

Electron through aperture: will she, won’t she? Do she, don’t she?

It’s interesting to note that Chip is quite definite that the electron will pass through the aperture, from all perspectives, at 0.1c – whilst Vivian is equally definite that it will be blocked from both perspectives at 0.1c.  Does this not suggest to the inquiring mind that there IS an issue to be addressed here?

Chip, it appears that you may have misread what I wrote.  For myself, I agree totally that the aperture will not change in size with velocity; however my point is that the dictates of SR, coupled with a proposed reduction in transverse radius of an electron moving at speed, demand that this is the case if there is to be no contradiction.

You refer to “the electron at rest which is barely small enough to pass through this aperture”; the point that I’m making is that this electron is ONLY small enough to pass through this aperture because it’s NOT at rest, by virtue of its relativistically-reduced transverse diameter whilst travelling at speed 0.9c (taking on board, for the sake of analysis, the proposition that such a reduction occurs – a proposition with which I myself disagree).  This naturally would mean (following this line of thought) that if the speed of the electron were reduced it would then have a larger cross-section and so would NOT fit through that aperture – this is the fundamental point of my analysis of the logical consequence of such a proposition in the context of a universe in which SR is an objective reality.  In such a universe the same scenario can be viewed from the ‘rest-frame’ of the electron; unless the outcome is altered just by taking a different viewpoint (i.e. the electron DOES fit through the aperture in the lower-speed case), it follows that, from the electron-rest-frame perspective, the aperture has reduced in size due to its moving more slowly relative to the electron.  Since the outcome (fits / doesn’t fit) must be the same irrespective of viewpoint, we have a contradiction if that aperture doesn’t vary in size.  This calls into serious question the fundamental premise of SR as it's generally believed and applied.

[I’m in total agreement with you that a form of SR does prevail in the universe, but it’s NOT the totally objective SR proposed and applied in conventional science; careful analysis shows that the majority of observed effects of SR are in fact observer effects, coupled with the objective realities of relativistic length contraction as mooted by Larmor, Lorentz & Fitzgerald (on the basis of Maxwell's findings), also dilation of ‘personal time experience’ for objects moving at speed, due to the nature of particle structure.  This has very significant implications for various aspects of physics, including putting paid to the feared risks to causality from closed timelike curves or FTL travel - since, contrary to the conventional SR view, there is a unique universal inertial reference frame (which I understand to correspond to the frame of Chandra's CTF).  (Since writing this I've received your latest email in which you state: "For decades I felt that SR and GR were absolutely correct. Defended them vigorously. And studied them extensively. Especially SR.  However my opinion has changed simply because of things learned while studying the cause of SR. Matter made from light speed energy. If you start from that premise, and construct a theory of relativity based simply on the results of that premise, the results are, in my opinion, a more accurate view, with a causal basis."  This could have been me writing that, this is my position precisely.)]

Vivian, I'm rather surprised at your response.  On the basis of your dismissal of my 'thought experiment' it appears that you could have nipped SR in the bud if you'd been around at the time.  I can just see it: "Lightning striking the SAME length of track SIMULTANEOUSLY in TWO places?!  And there just HAPPENS to be some guy standing EXACTLY midway at the very instant that it happens?!!  PLUS on top of that there just HAPPENS to be a train passing the spot with someone looking out the window (with a couple of mirrors so they can see both flashes)??!!!  Sorry Al, it just ain't ever gonna happen!"

[Not banter, rather commentary on your dismissal of a line of reasoning well-used by Einstein and others.]

As for GR, who knows what you'd have made of the guy in a box who doesn't know if he's in a gravitational field or if the box is being pulled by some giant being at an accelerating rate through an area of space totally free of gravitational field.  Ok, the guy could have been KO'd, the 'giant' could be some spacecraft (presumably no sound or vibration to pass along the cable?) - but in deep space?? (No grav field).

[Maybe at some time in the far distant future some highly evolved beings might create that scenario – possibly the same HEBs who might create the aperture that I hypothesise, maybe out of neutronium, who knows?  In fact that’s all quite irrelevant – read on.]

All of the commentaries I've seen on the railway thought experiment are in agreement that it’s not necessary to observe that scenario in order to draw logical inferences from it: hence the name ‘thought experiment’.  This is doubly so in a reductio-ad-absurdum situation such as the one I’ve presented: it’s not necessary to observe two mutually contradictory events failing to happen simultaneously in order to be certain that two mutually contradictory events cannot happen simultaneously.

With regard to your reference to the elephant, observer having different mass and what the observer sees, this is in fact all quite irrelevant.  The observer in the SR context is simply a hypothetical witness to events that occur whether or not they're observed: if a particle passes through an aperture from the perspective of one reference frame but fails to in another, in respect of one and the same incident, then we have a contradiction whereby the same electron both passes through a barrier and collides with it simultaneously.  One can dress it up with all manner of words, the facts of the dual SR interpretation of that event remain.

As for experiments: I’m a great believer in experimental evidence, a theory that contradicts such evidence is worth nothing, as is a theory based on no concrete evidence; however, as Chip has effectively observed, evidence provided by results of an experiment is not necessarily proof of one person’s (or even a thousand people’s) interpretation of that evidence.  Whereas if a theory leads to a glaring contradiction simply by logical reasoning, then no experimental evidence is needed to show that theory to be erroneous.  I suggest that “advancing the cause” can be achieved at least as effectively by (a) considering fully plausible alternative interpretations of existing experimental evidence; and (b) applying logical reasoning, in the light of existing evidence, to test theories – as by conducting one more experiment whose outcomes may or may not be due to assumed cosmic principles.

In short, my question stands: SR, coupled with a particle whose transverse diameter reduces with speed, either creates a contradiction or requires that a moving aperture increases in size with speed of motion.  Which is it to be and, if the latter, what is the explanation for this?

Richard, since writing the above I note that you have reiterated your reducing-lateral-radius electron in your latest email on this subject.  I’d be interested to hear how you reconcile this with the two contradictory views of events from the two rest-frames, as embedded in SR (which I know you subscribe to) in accordance with the above analysis.  Since you have yourself espoused the notion that we should each submit constructive criticism of each others’ theories, and have regularly done so yourself, I know that you’ll take this in the spirit in which it’s intended.

Regards to all,

Grahame