[General] On particle radius

Albrecht Giese genmail at a-giese.de
Mon Jan 9 12:31:00 PST 2017

Hi Chip, hi All,

the problem of the limitation of the internal speed in the electron is
not complicated. It is the cause if relativistic dilation.

If an electron is a particle which is built by something which
permanently orbits at c, then in case of the motion of the electron,
this internal speed will continue to be c with respect to the external
frame. If now the electron moves into an axial direction with respect to
the orbit at  speed v then the circular motion will turn into a helical
motion. If the motion on the helix is still c then the period T of this
motion will be reduced to some T' as given by Pythagoras: T' = T *
sqrt(1/(1--v^2 /c^2 )), which by the way is the Lorentz factor of SRT.

If the electron moves into an arbitrary direction with respect to the
orbit, then the calculation of more complicated but has the same result.
I can give it if there is a demand.

To the radius of the electron itself (and I must apologize that I did
not fully follow the preceding discussion:

If the elementary charge e_0 in the electron orbits at c then the
magnetic moment of the electron is classically µ = i*pi*R^2   where we
insert for the current i = e_0 * c/(2pi*R) . Then we get µ = c * e_0 *
R/2 . Now we can use the known value of the magnetic moment µ to
determine the radius R. The result of this is R = 3.86 * 10^-13 m.

This result is in conflict with main stream as the official physics says
that the electron is point-like (R<10^-18 m). But it is in agreement
with Erwin Schrödinger. In his famous paper in which Schrödinger
evaluated the Dirac function, his result for the "size of the electron"
was "roughly about" R = 4 * 10^-13 m. Schrödinger came to this result by
pure QM considerations. And then he makes a funny statement. He says in
his paper: "We know that the electron is point-like. So, there must be
an error in my calculation. But I cannot find this error". - I think
that not Schrödinger was in error but main stream is in error. And this
early result of Schrödinger confirms the classical calculation which I
have shown above.

Does this help the discussion?

Albrecht