[General] On particle radius

Chip Akins chipakins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:10:02 PST 2017

Hi All

For those of you who hold the hard line that nothing can move faster than c
(a common interpretation of SR) the following is a bit of speculation.

If the energy within the electron is all circulating at c, and the electron
is an extended particle, then the field lines might look something like the
following illustration

At any rate, the field lines would spiral outward from the center, moving at
c at all points.

This structure would not exhibit a specific frequency, or a finite set of
frequencies, but would contain any frequency one might choose. So unless we
can conceive of some mechanism which would only make certain frequencies
visible, or some boundary conditions which would constrain the energy to a
specific radius. Then this approach is not useful in discovering the
electron’s mysteries.

In fact, if a “photon”, or an EM wave if you prefer, can have a spin of
hbar, and has a momentum of p=E/c, then the radius of action of this wave is
r = hbar/momentum. Such a wave then must have a transverse displacement
velocity of at least 3.489 times c in order for the wave to exist in this
form. Also, the internal wavefront must be moving at the sqrt(2) c. So I
think it must be that some things simply move faster than c as John Stewart
Bell suggested. A more Lorentzian form of relativity.

Chip