[General] JW on STR twin Paradox

Wolfgang Baer wolf at nascentinc.com
Wed Jul 5 21:23:44 PDT 2017

John and Chip:

your discussions on the twin paradox resemble the one I am having with
Albrecht in the sense of who is right. In this it is quite important to
identify the SRT

Einstein actually published from how it has morphed. Specifically the
understanding that there is no paradox because both twins would
understand the theory sufficiently to calculate results based upon their
knowledge of physics , which when "correctly" applied does not lead to a
paradox, is in my opinion suspect.

So I have gone to the Source:

Einstein, A. (1905) “On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies”, /The
Principle of Relativity; a collection of original memoirs on the special
and general theory of relativity/, Edited by A Sommerfeld, Translated by
W. Perrett and G. Jeffery, Dover Publications, p35-65 ISBN486-60081-5

on page 49 he writes:" If one of two synchronous clocks at A is moved in
a closed curve with constant velocity unitil it returnes to A, the
journey lasting t seconds, then by the clock which has remained at rest
the traveled clock on its arrival ast A will be 1/2 t v2/c2 slow. Hence
we conclude that a balanced clock at the equator must go more slowly, by
a very small amount than an otherwise similar clock situated at one of
the poles under otherwise identical conditions.'

If I read this statement it clearly tells me that Einstein meant the
moving clock slows down simply because of its relative motion. No
qualification is made about the acceleration or its relation to gravity.
The reference to the north pole and equator was simply to provide an
example of relative motion. I believe SRT and the clock slow down as
Einstein presented it was intended to apply to any motion along a closed
curve. Whether such a curve is produced by a gravitational orbit, a
clock at the end of a string, or a spaceship. Therefore I conclude that
a clock paradox was  built into SRT as Einstein proposed it, and I
believe Einstein recognized this limitation  and began working on GRT
because there are no closed curved trajectories without gravitation
and/or acceleration at play.

Until we nail down which SRT we are talking about both paradox and no
paradox proponents can be right.

best wishes

wolf

Dr. Wolfgang Baer