[General] Tom's reply

Thomas Andersen tandersen at nscir.ca
Mon Jul 10 16:01:17 PDT 2017

John,

In my opinion, Hawking is a very good but not GREAT scientist. I am not convinced Hawking is anything like a Newton or Einstein. He's no slouch but I think Wheeler and Feynman to name just two people were better late 20th century physicists.

I think his work on black hole evaporation fails to take important physics into account, with the result that there are many papers out there that try to 'save' black hole evaporation, and a far fewer papers (e.g. by  Adam Helfer) that cast evaporation into doubt. This appeal to authority rather than reason reflects an extremely worrying trend in science today - consensus and authority play a larger role than ever at.

If you have comments on my site,  ( https://gravityphysics.com ) fire away!

--Tom