[General] Fw: STR twin Paradox

Albrecht Giese phys at a-giese.de
Sat Jun 3 12:01:49 PDT 2017

Hi Grahame,

fully agreement that Einstein's relativity is a working theory but does
not have any causal explanation. This has to do with the general
attitude of Einstein with respect to science when he developed
relativity. But before Einstein, Hendrik Lorentz had already started to
work on these problems, and his approach does in fact have causal
physical explanations.

Shortly after the Michelson-Morley experiment Oliver Heaviside presented
a calculation (1888), deduced from Maxwell's theory of electromagnetism,
that an electrical field necessarily contracts at motion. Fitzgerald
concluded that if fields contract also objects will contract at motion.
If this happens also the apparatus of the MM experiment would contract
at motion. And if it contracts, so the conclusion of Lorentz, the
null-result of the experiment is fully explained even if an ether should
exist.

Next step is dilation. It was (to my knowledge) already suspected by
Lorentz and it was later found by Schrödinger (1930) that inside
elementary particles there is a permanent motion with c, the speed of
light. If this is assumed it follows geometrically that any elementary
particle acts like a light clock and its internal motion and so its
frequency is reduced in the way described by the Lorentz transformation.
The reduction of the internal frequency propagates to all cases of
motion in physics.

This is special relativity. But the considerations of Lorentz can be
also extended to general relativity, and the result is a mathematical
model which fully conforms to the one of Einstein but is also based on
physical explanations.

Another point in this discussion: Acceleration *does not play any role
*in relativity, neither in SRT nor in GRT. The reference to acceleration
in case of e.g. the twin paradox comes from the (indirect) fact that in
case of an acceleration of one party / one twin this one will leave his
inertial frame. So the Lorentz transformation does not apply any longer.
But, not to confuse it here, an acceleration does not give any
quantitative contribution to the processes treated by SRT and GRT.

Another comment to the Lorentzian interpretation of relativity:
Following Lorentz makes relativity much better understandable than the
one of Einstein, and it avoids all paradoxes which I know. This applies
particularly to GRT which becomes so simple that it can be treated at
school, whereas the Einsteinian is too complicated even for most
students of physics.

Albrecht