[General] STR twin Paradox

Albrecht Giese phys at a-giese.de
Mon Jun 26 13:52:32 PDT 2017

Chandra, (and all:)

thank you for the reference to the paper. But perhaps you remember that
we have discussed this idea of E.H. Dowdye in 2012 after he gave a talk
at our meeting in San Diego in 2011. It was a controversy between him
and me when I asked him to show his detailed calculation for the bending
of light in the plasma limb of the sun. He found it sufficient what he
had written in his mail and when I insisted in calculations he declared
not to talk to me any longer.

I have the following concerns regarding Dowdye's approach.

1) The mentioned paper of Lebach et al. (which Dowdye knows because I
told him about it) shows an agreement between the result of GRT and
Lebach's measurement with an accuracy of 10^-4 . If an observed
deflection caused by the plasma would yield the same result as GRT with
such an accuracy, it would be a great (a "cosmic") incident. Everyone
has to decide whether he/she believes this.

2) On the other hand the plasma limb would in this case have to be
stable in a way that this incidental fit by 10^-4 would be constant over
the time.

3) Dowdye says that the plasma limb does not reach far out of the sun
(or of every other star) so that at an impact parameter >>R this
deflection does not occur and was not observed. But this is in obvious
conflict with the occurrence of Einstein rings. In the typical cases the
radius of the observed Einstein rings is greater than the radius of the
causing star by many orders of magnitude (typically a factor of  >10^5
). How can this be explained?

What is the community saying?

By the way: It is of course possible and it was shown by many renowned
cosmologists that the deflection of light at the sun can be treated as a
refraction. But in that cases the known change of c in a gravitational
field (not in plasma) is used. And the result is fully identical with
the result of Einstein's GRT. - This is the basis of my model of gravity.

Albrecht

Am 26.06.2017 um 18:51 schrieb Roychoudhuri, Chandra:

> Grahame and the rest of the colleagues:
>
> Please, have a look at the attached paper by a retired NASA scientist,
> who firmly believes that the bending of light by stars is due to the
> refractive index-gradient produced by the plasma of the stars, not by
> its gravity.
>
> I am just “stirring up the pot” J.
>
> Chandra.

---