[General] Stiffness of space

Mark, Martin van der martin.van.der.mark at philips.com
Tue Oct 10 04:42:47 PDT 2017

Dear John,

Some objection here. Gravitation has always travelled with light speed, to my opinion. You are confused with another discussion that we once had about the Coulomb potential and the gravitational potential of the sun which seem to be instantaneous. The reason is that they have been out there for a while, otherwise one wouldn’t find those to be “static”. There are different ways to look that problem. For the Coulomb potential, one could also invoke virtual photons, which are longitudinal and off-shell, so may have arbitrary speed. Those are just pictures, hence have intrinsic perspective from which they are taken.

Just to make sure you get my point, gravitation and electromagnetism in vacuum both go with the speed of light and this can only be observed when there is some kind of disturbance. No disturbance means statics and no knowledge (or even necessity of that knowledge) of propagation speed.
This I think, by the way, is in essence also a difference between the Coulomb gauge and Lorentz gauge in electromagnetism.

Cheers, Martin

Dr. Martin B. van der Mark
Principal Scientist, Minimally Invasive Healthcare

Philips Research Europe - Eindhoven
High Tech Campus, Building 34 (WB2.025)
Prof. Holstlaan 4
5656 AE  Eindhoven, The Netherlands