[General] [NEW] SRT twin Paradox

Albrecht Giese phys at a-giese.de
Fri Sep 1 01:17:25 PDT 2017

Wolf,

just a short answer to this mail.

Einstein's example is a simplified situation. It is simplified in so far
that the moving clock comes back to the clock at rest. So in the
equation which I have given:

t' = (t-xv/c^2 )* (1-c^2 /v^2 )^-1/2

the distance x becomes 0 (zero). Then your equation can be used. But if
two moving clocks are compared in a state where they are at different
positions then the full equation (above) has to be used.

The short version  is also applicable for the twin experiment because at
the end both twins meet again at the same position.

In which respect is there a paradox?

Best
Albrecht

Am 30.08.2017 um 07:54 schrieb Wolfgang Baer:

> I've now looked up the reference from "on the Electrodynamics of
> moving Bodies" by Albert Einstein translated from Annalen der Physik
> 17,1905   in The Principle of Relativity by H.A. Lorentz, A Einstein,
> H. , wit notes by A Sommerfeld p 49 in Section #4
>
> " If we assume that the result proved for a polygonal line is also
> valid for a continuously curved line, we arrive at this result: If one
> of two synchronous clocks at A is moved in a closed curve with
> constant velocity until it returns to A, the journey lasting t
> seconds, then by the the clock remained at rest the traveled clock on
> its arrival at A will be 1/2 t v^2 /c^2 seconds slow."
>
> Am I wrong in interpreting these words as implying a twin paradox.?
> I'm not claiming that there is a twin paradox.
>
> Only that the straight forward interpretation of  Einstein's words
> suggest there is a paradox
>
> best
>
> Wolf
>

> Dr. Wolfgang Baer
> Research Director
> Nascent Systems Inc.
> tel/fax 831-659-3120/0432
> E-mailwolf at NascentInc.com
> On 8/29/2017 3:41 AM, Dr Grahame Blackwell wrote:
>> Hi Albrecht,
>> Regrettably, you appear to have misread my text.  If you read it
>> again more carefully, you will see that at NO point do I propose, or
>> even suggest, that acceleration gives rise to time dilation.  I am
>> well aware that, as you say, "gravity and acceleration are different
>> regarding [time] dilation" - so your attempts to persuade me of this
>> are quite unnecessary.
>> The whole point of my text was, as I said at the outset, to resolve
>> the 'twins going opposite directions around a circle' paradox, with
>> reference to classical SR (and GR, as it happens - bear with me on
>> this).  For SR to be self-consistent (which I believe it is - that's
>> not the same as it being correct!) there has to be an explanation
>> that fits the terms of Relativity which explains how it can be that
>> both A and B would expect their clocks to coincide on re-meeting - as
>> they clearly would from the perspective of a third observer, static
>> with respect to the circle centre, and so they must of course
>> coincide from everyone's perspective.  If it can be shown that they'd
>> expect their clocks to be different then Relativity is dead - but it
>> is most definitely not that simple!  [That's why it's survived for
>> over a century; it's not just that thousands of other physicists over
>> that century have been incapable of such analysis!]
>> Relativity states that any scenario can validly be assessed from the
>> perspective of any individual, who may consider themself to be static
>> - and that their assessment of that scenario is equally 'correct' to
>> any OTHER assessment from any other frame of reference.  SR restricts
>> such assessment to inertial frames, GR extends it to non-inertial
>> frames - but this same principle holds true.
> [...]

---