[General] [NEW] SRT twin Paradox

Albrecht Giese phys at a-giese.de
Wed Sep 6 10:28:44 PDT 2017

Wolf,

I missed to answer this last mail of you, but I should do so.

Am 31.08.2017 um 07:40 schrieb Wolfgang Baer:

> Albrecht:
>
> I originally started this question because I tried to show that
> Einsteins SRT was wrong and then go on to propose some fixes. What I
> ran into was the comment that I did not understand SRT. Conclusion to
> date is that there apear to be many interpretations and fixes to what
> Einstein said and how his theory has be reinterpreted and updated. It
> is simply no good talking further unless one specifies which SRT one
> is taking about.

I do not understand why you see different interpretations of Einstein's
SRT. Because it is very clearly defined. There is another less popular
interpretation, the one of Hendrik Lorentz, which I personally prefer.
But also this one has the same logical consequences, just another
physical view. Maybe also better for those who want a feasible imagination.

> My last E-mail to Graham included a quote from Einstein's original
> paper which clearly stated that a clock moving around a closed circuit
> would lose time. if I read the 1905 paper further the example Einstein
> uses is to compare a clock on the equator with one on the pole
> claiming the equilateral clock will run slower. This statement even
> shows that Einstein had no qualms about including an accelerated
> reference frame. Until the ground rules as to what interpretation of
> SRT one is talking about I think it is not worth going on.

Einstein has in his example treated the motion along the circuit as a
summation (or better, integration) if pieces of inertial motion of
infinitesimal length. One could understand each infinitesimal piece as a
little twin case. In each linear piece SRT is fully applicable, and then
the frame changes and SRT has to continue in the next frame. And this is
going on for a large number of steps. There is no explicit acceleration
used.

> I would much rather continue the diussion along the Synchotron lines.
> That is why I i said "New"
>
> To respond to your comment empty space is flat it does not matter how
> far away you are from local masses you are surrounded by masses and
> that introduces symmetric forces that determine the gravitational
> potential, speed of EM interactions, the speed of light , and clock rates.

The more you are distant from any masses the smaller influence comes
from gravitational potentials. So one can put these influences below
each assumed threshold. That was meant.

> Einsteins GRT has gamma dependent on the gravitatinal potential , and
> obviously there are stars surrounding us so gravity determins the
> property of intergalactiv space.

Einstein's gamma has nothing to do with gravity.

> If you do not agree with this tell me why?

The point where I do not agree here is that you mix aspects of SRT and
of GRT which have nothing to do with each other. We know that in each
real physical situation we do have a mix of many influences, in your
example there is always a gravitational field. But our historical
progress in physics was that we can mentally abstract from this
situation so that we assume an environment reduced to one influence, and
so we can have clear results and distil physical laws from it.

> best wishes
>
> Wolf

Best wishes
Albrecht