[General] Hestenes' work

Andrew Meulenberg mules333 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 02:49:18 PDT 2017

Dear Richard,

comments below

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Richard Gauthier <richgauthier at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
>   I think the explanation of the transformation of photon to an e-p pair
> is very relevant to the theme of the “Nature of light and particles”
> e-group, so that I think the e-group should be included in the discussion
> (anyone can always push “delete". Plus it gives the others a chance to give
> their opinions and criticisms which could be helpful. I hope you will
> encourage your French colleague to join the e-group. *{will do, However,
> he is presently learning QED to approach the problem from that
> perspective.} *We always have google-translate when needed. *{not needed}*
> I won’t be of any help when it comes to Clifford algebra although it is
> definitely a useful tool, but I’d like to be part of the discussion. *{too
> bad google-translate doesn't do Cliford algebra} *What did you mean by
> light cone? Are you referring to the Minkowski light cone? *{Yes}*
>

> I think the regular uncharged photon becomes two spin-1/2 charged photons,
> which then curl up to become an electron and a positron, so this process
> should take some small amount of time. The two spin-1/2 photons coming from
> a single spin-1 uncharged photon may be initially uncharged (if the
> formation process is continuous) and then gain their + and - charges
> continuously as they curl up to form stable particles (perhaps solitons, if
> adding this concept is helpful.)

I agree with you here almost completely. I would only add two words. "...
gain their + and - charges continuously as they curl up to *separate and*
form stable particles." Your single sentence contains (and infers) many
important points, some generally accepted, *some not:*

   1. two spin-1/2 photons coming from a single spin-1 uncharged photon
   2. initially uncharged and massless
   3. *the formation process is continuous*
   4.
*gain their + and - charges continuously *
   5.
*they curl up to form stable particles (with mass) *
   6. *solitons,*
   7. I would add that *mass and charge both form/grow in the process of
   curling and separating*

> In QED, e-p pairs form as virtual particles from photons all the time and
> then return to being a photon, so that virtual pair production and
> disappearance might be included in the discussion also. And an e-p pair can
> mutually annihilate after forming positronium for a very short time, to
> become two or three (or sometimes more I think) photons. So this would need
> to be included in the discussion.

I had not considered the virtual e-p pair formation as a real or useful
concept. However, in the context of stochastic electro-dynamics*, E*-field
polarization and separation of photons and, perhaps if explained properly,
the concept of virtual pairs (i.e., examples of charged photons) could be
useful.

>   My article “Transluminal Energy Quantum Model of a Spin-1/2 Charged
> Photon Composing an Electron” is the sixth article at
> https://richardgauthier.academia.edu/research#papers . It’s key ideas
> (besides being internally superluminal with internal speed c sqrt(2) and
> having a helical angle 45-degrees like my photon model) are that the
> spin-1/2 photon model's helical radius lambda/4pi is 1/2 the helical radius
> lambda/2pi of my model of a spin-1 uncharged photon, and the spin-1/2
> photon model makes two helical turns per photon wavelength as compared to
> one helical turn per photon wavelength in my spin-1 photon model. (This
> helps in the creation of a double-looping photon model of the electron with
> its zitterbewegung frequency f=2 mc^2/h .)

Richard, I would consider your transluminal model as a worthwhile attempt
to reconcile relativity and light /matter interactions. It causes kneejerk
rejection, just as your charged -photon model does (see below).
Nevertheless, it may have its place in the ultimate picture. I have
approached the same problem from a different viewpoint in my model of the
distortion of space associated with high energy densities within elementary
particles and photons. This distortion reduces the speed of light (by
increasing the refractive index) locally to create the solitonic photon and
the whispering-gallery-mode confinement of a photon into an electron. It
could be that your local transluminousity and my energy-density-induced
distortion of space would cancel to allow the transfer of energy to still
be limited to the velocity of light in free space.

> So when two spin-1/2 photons models are side-by-side (as in photon -> e-p
> production), their radii would add up in amplitude to the amplitude of the
> radius of a spin-1 photon, and also have the same “apparent" wavelength,
> i.e. the same length of a single helical turn of the spin-1 photon model
> (while each spin-1/2 photon model actually having twice the wavelength and
> therefore half the energy) of the spin-1 photon transforming into the e-p
> pair.

Your side-by-side charged-photon model may be similar to (a variant of?)
Albrecht's two-body electron model. And, while I may reject both models as
stated (for various reasons), I also use the concept of polarization to
separate the 'potentials' within a photon in the creation of an
electron-positron pair. Thus, the three of us may be approaching a 'truth'
that QM has swept under its rug as 'inconvenient'. Modern QM allows
violation of conservation laws (within the limits of the Heisenberg
Uncertainty Relation) during an interaction - as long as they are
maintained after the interaction. Our models are attempts to explain this
'QM magic' and restore some reality to difficult processes.

I'm now looking to Hestenes' Space-Time Algebra and Dirac's equations as a
means of bringing these, and other, models together with an acceptable
language.

Andrew M.