[General] Superluminal double-helix photon model and its inertial mass

Roychoudhuri, Chandra chandra.roychoudhuri at uconn.edu
Wed Feb 21 13:39:56 PST 2018

Richard:
We all register, perceive and model the world differently. This is very much like the proverbial bunch of blind men modeling the Cosmic Elephant. My view is as follows, which I have written many many times before on this forum. I have not seen anything yet that would help me to change my mind. However, I am open to change simply because we still do not know the ultimate nature of the EM waves.

     As a lifelong experimentalist, I view EM waves as diffractively spreading EM waves, not as “indivisible light quanta”. The entire field of optical science and engineering could not be continuing to flourish for several hundred years, without any paradigm shift, without the guidance of the Huygens-Fresnel diffraction integral. QM has not provided us with any rational mathematical equation that can replace this HF integral. Some people have attempted to co-opt this HF integral into the quantum domain by replacing (2”pi”/”Lambda”) by “k-vector” and calling it momentum vector and then assigned quantum properties. The problem with “photon” as indivisible energy quanta is that EM waves can share its energy with various interactants in multiple steps while sharing any amount of energy. Further, the quadratic energy transfer from the EM waves always precedes amplitude-amplitude stimulation. However, quantized atoms and molecules, of course, can absorb and emit “h‘nu’” quantity of energy at any one transition. The emitted packet evolves diffractively. During absorption, the atomic “quantum cup” is filled up out of classical EM waves.
     In this regard, I am a follower of Planck, the father of “light quanta”.

Chandra.