[General] Special Relativity and rest reference frames

Viv Robinson viv at universephysics.com
Tue Apr 16 00:02:44 PDT 2019

Dear All,

A few months ago there was a discussion about Special Relativity corrections and which observer was moving when the two were traveling at different speeds wrt each other and there was no absolute rest reference frame. I got the feeling that some in the group were not satisfied with some of the answers given, particularly regarding the twin paradox. I recently had reason to revisit the topic and found a much simpler way of presenting motions wrt to rest reference frames. For those interested I have posted a note on Research Gate  - see below.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332247819_Moving_Clocks_and_Special_Relativity_Rest_Reference_Frames

I believe that clearly defines a rest reference frame that applies for at least 2,000 parsec around us. As I mention in that article, that is a local rest reference frame only. That rest reference frame is clearly moving with respect to the rest reference frame at the centre of the galaxy. Similarly the galaxy is clearly moving towards a larger rest reference frame that is the great attractor. Because all motion is relative, there is no need to consider those distant rest reference frames. However all motion within at least two thousand parsecs, 7,000 light years, will be relative to the single rest reference frame mentioned.

IMHO, that takes care of the twin paradox. Celestial time rest reference frame gives a clear definition of which twin moved at the faster speed and therefore aged the less when the two were later reunited.

Cheers,

Vivian Robinson