[General] Correspondence between topological structures and charge, spin, baryon number etc.?

Jarek Duda dudajar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 04:43:41 PST 2021

Dear colleagues,

I have recently started and trying to warm up "models-of-particles"
(e.g. as solitons) Google email group with ~40 physicists and have just
found this looking related one. We have also a bit more general QM
foundations online seminar ( http://th.if.uj.edu.pl/~dudaj/QMFNoT ) -
talks are welcomed, I can also add to the email group.
Let me briefly introduce myself ( http://th.if.uj.edu.pl/~dudaj/ ). I
have education in Physics (PhD), computer science (PhD) and mathematics
(MSc). I am interested in physics foundations since ~2006 when I have
started MERW
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximal_entropy_random_walk>(alongside
ANS <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_numeral_systems>) showing
where disagreement between diffusion and QM comes from (only
approximating crucial maximal entropy principle), then in 2009 I have
started working on particle models as topological solitons, which turned
out expansion of Faber's model of electron (slides:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aj6tu93n04rcgra/soliton.pdf ).

Let me start with this general view thered/question, also to get some
glimpse about your group:

Most of us would like to use topological mechanisms to stabilize field
configurations into localized models of particle (?)

There is a large variety on both topological and particle sides here, so
maybe let us try to discuss the most promising correspondences e.g. to
properties like electric charge, spin, baryon number - to target in such
models.

Here are some very basic topological structures – what should they
correspond to?

*1) 2D topological charge* in cross-section e.g. in fluxons/Abrikosov
vortex in superconductors. It agrees with quantum rotation operator:
rotating spin ‘s’ particle by phi angle, the phase rotates by phi * s.
Topological constraint resembles Ampere's law here e.g. for fluxon
carrying quant of magnetic field, what might be related with spins
corresponding to magnetic dipole moments (?)

*2) *Such vortices can form *knot**-like structures*: which can be
relatively stable local minima, but are not global – they could decay
especially in high temperature.

*3) **3D topological charge* e.g. hedgehog-like localized configuration.
Gauss-Bonnet theorem acts as Gauss law with built-in charge quantization
here: integrating field’s curvature over closed surface, we get 3D
topological charge inside, which has to be integer.

Baryon number doesn’t seem to have Gauss law (?) and usually is believed
that it can be violated in extreme temperatures – during baryogenesis
just after Big Bang, or for Hawking radiation inside Black Hole.

So personally I would assign: 2D charge -> spin, 3D charge -> electric
charge, baryon number as example of knotting.

But e.g. Skyrmion models disagree: assigning 3D charge -> baryon number,
and usually neglecting electric charge and spin.

So which assignment is the most promising? Why?

Best,

Jarek Duda

ps. Related: is photon number conserved e.g. as topological? If not, why
single photon does not dissipate? (I would bet on angular momentum)