[General] gravitation

John Duffield johnduffield at btconnect.com
Sat Feb 21 07:45:40 PST 2015

Andrew:

It’s a mystery to me why people don’t know about this kind of stuff. Einstein said a field is a state of space. Susskind said the same in his video lecture. And there aren’t two states of space where an electron is.

As for the strong force, it’s supposed to be fundamental. So ask yourself this: where does the strong force go in low-energy proton-antiproton annihilation to gamma photons? And ask yourself this: what is it that makes the electromagnetic wave propagate at c? Alternatively, imagine you can hold this electron in your hands like a bagel.

Imagine it’s elastic, like the bag model. Try to pull it apart. You will find that you cannot. You can’t pull this kiddie apart either:

It’s made of three parts, three partons. See http://www.ipmu.jp/webfm_send/1053 and note page 11 where Witten mentions knot crossings? Trace round it clockwise starting at the bottom left calling out the crossing-over directions: up up down. When you do eventually break this thing, you don’t see three things flying free.

Regards
John D