[General] [SPAM?] Re: research papers

Mark, Martin van der martin.van.der.mark at philips.com
Sat Oct 24 09:08:54 PDT 2015

Dear all,
thanks for the interesting exchange of opinions, ideas, good explanations but also some mistakes.
It seems very hard to ask one thing or to explain that thing without getting into another, each having issues, but well  here I go again.
In order to make progress it is important to stick as close to the subject as possible until ideas are exhausted.

First Eherenfest's rotating wheel is a paradox (a seemingly contradictory matter). As mentioned and discussed here recently, special relativity makes things look weird as a consequence of perspective by the observer only. The Lorentz contraction is only happening to the projection in the propagation direction of an object, and in fact, real objects would be seen as rotated away from the observer on the front side of the motion, so much in severe cases, that you can actually see its backside well before it passes at right angles. Obviously this has repercussions on the Eherenfest wheel.
The brim does not shrink, really, nor do the spokes, of course. Now I am not going to claim that I understand every detail, simply because I have never seen such a wheel (these things tend to fly apart before they reach even moderate speed), and others have written good papers about it. The Sagnac effect is real and used in airplanes as a gyroscope, and this shows there is an interesting thing happening with the measurement of time when going (over the brim) in the direction of rotation compared to going against it, see Dieks' papers for an in depth analysis. This is another re-introduction to the De Broglie wavelength, by the way.

Second I would like to point out that EPR experiments are strange beasts, and that this can be appreciated INDEPENDENT of (the validity of) Bell's inequalities.
Adam came up with a nice story about two marbles of opposite color, put in closed envelopes and sent off to well separated receivers.
This is a very good analogy to begin and compare  to an EPR experiment of a singlet state of two photons or two fermions (of whatever nature, electrons for example).
The analogy is such that the color of the marble one receives represents the spin or polarization state of the particle when it is detected.
Now, in the EPR experiment a photon can be polarized in many ways: the complete set of possible states covers the Poincare' sphere, where the equator has all orientations of linear polarization, the poles correspond to left and right circular polarization and the rest of the surface to all kinds of elliptical polarization. The pure state, a singlet state, has two photons with polarization states exactly on opposite sides of the sphere. (For fermions it works exactly the same, but the sphere is called the Bloch sphere https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloch_sphere ). It should be noted that in a pure state, the particles are in coherence; they share the phase of their (single) wave function, and whatever their future evolution, together they must, amongst others, conserve momentum and angular momentum.
In an EPR experiment it is essential to try to measure the polarization state. If the polarizers are removed, the whole thing is trivial, there will be a click on both detectors, whatever.
With the polarizers in place (linear, circular, elliptic, really any orientation) it becomes quite interesting. In analogy with the marbles, each specific state on the Poincare sphere now corresponds to a different color, and we can make a convenient rule such as we are used to with the color circle where opposite colors combined give "white" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_wheel . In the marble experiment the detector and polarizer are made by the mailbox and the slit respectively, and the slit either accepts or rejects. Further, the slit projects the color of the marble according to its own state, for example when the slit is mounted vertically, it transmits red with 100% certainty but rejects green with 100% certainty. Would an orange marble arrive, it may pass the slit with perhaps 50% chance and is stripped from its yellow component, leaving a purely red marble in the mailbox.
Note that I am translating the real EPR experiment into the marble experiment, that is all I do. In the real experiment, photon is transmitted whole or not at all, but if transmitted it is projected into the polarization state of the analyzing polarizer, so that is what we must demand is happening to the marbles too.
In Adam's explanation there is no mystery because the example does not resemble an EPR experiment. In the example given above the mystery is about to happen: The blue counterpart of the orange marble arrives at the other mailbox, who's slit may have any orientation. What we know for certain in an EPR experiment is, however, that a parallel slit will 100% accept red and 100% reject green (in the latter case we may but a waste bin below the mailbox to collect the marble, as can be done in photonics by the use of a polarizing beam splitter and two detectors). Since we have measured the orange marble to be red ( with equal probability it could have been rejected, and labeled green), the other marble seems to have changed color, wherever it is or will be, it will respond as if it is green, not blue. In other words, it will pass a horizontal slit for green with 100% certainty, despite the fact that we had assumed that it is blue. So now this means that the sender must have put red and green, and not blue and orange marbles in the respective envelopes. But what if I change the orientation of the mailbox's slit while the postman is still eating lunch? So this is where the mystery is. In fact the whole idea of a coherent singlet state is that it has total spin zero, and that is all you know: the marbles are grey and anti-grey, equally potent to giving white and black or red and green or blue and orange for orthogonal slits.
So at this level it is mysterious if one takes causality and finite speed of propagation of information seriously. Yet it is what experiment shows to be the case. (and what quantum mechanics predicts, but that is not the point)
There is lot more that I could say about 3 particle correlations GHZ (Greenberg Horner Zeilinger) entanglement, etcetera, so that any seemingly cunning objection is dealt with straight away, but that is also not the point. As a matter of fact, to any one, try to argue why it is a mystery and spooky or why not until you have come to total agreement and awe with what nature has to offer. And please do not tell me about it.

It has been shown that a local hidden variable theory cannot solve the matter of the EPR experiment, the essence of the mystery is in the non-locality (non-causality in another Lorentz frame) of the events. The so-called collapse of the wave function (even for a single particle) is as problematic, I would say.

A problem can only be solved if one is aware that it exists at all in the first place. So that is the next task, and faster than light phase velocity, coherence and zero interval are going to be part of it, I believe. That however takes me away from explaining physics as it is generally known and accepted and I would be talking about my own work. I will give a glimpse of that in the next two points.

Third, John D you are right, there is a further explanation required. The zero interval idea for photons is in fact about an ALMOST but not quite zero interval: For example an emission of a photon, leading to an absorption at some distance by a detector in the same Lorentz frame implies that there is  a finite length in the problem as a whole, Another example is that of an emission of a photon by an atom with short lived state, hence a short coherence length of the photon, also has a finite length or life time that must be taken into account. The result is that the phase and group transit time of the photon are never going to be exactly the same (although very closely the same) even in a non-dispersive medium. Hence the vent of absorption and emission are still distinguishable, but always in each other's near field and therefore coupled with essentially zero phase difference.
Sometimes I refer to this as: No photon can be on shell.

Fourth, causality and locality are what All has pointed out correctly in an email just sent out minutes ago.
Can we see any kind of influence faster than light? It does not seem to be possible, but if we have a coherent state, putatively, the phase velocity of the fields within can actually help to communicate between the two particles since on the one hand the phase velocity is faster than light, v_phase = c^2/v_particle, and on the other hand the particles maintain their own internal, synchronized clocks. So this is signaling without energy transfer. Only when you are part of that coherent state yourself you may be able to take advantage, from the outside we never know the relative phase of any of the clocks and cannot therefore determine how the wave function ends (is projected and  altered) on a detector and how or when the detector will fire.

I hope this helps.
Best, Martin