[General] wavelets not needed

Roychoudhuri, Chandra chandra.roychoudhuri at uconn.edu
Sat Jun 4 12:05:43 PDT 2016

John H.:
Thanks for articulating your “photon as a particle” model. Unfortunately, it is a lot more complex and a lot more confusing to me than the Huygens’ wave model that follows a classical wave equation – JUST waves; and it has been working for centuries with superb engineering precision!

Remember, the real father of emission and absorption of light as discrete packets of energy, was Max Planck. He already explained that the emitted packet of energy (“photon”?) evolves as a classical wave packet in the ether tension field (perhaps, you call that as the “Plenum”). That is why simple Huygens Principle, a solution to Maxwell’s wave equation, is working so well.

In detection, the detecting instruments’ intrinsic energy absorption process dictates whether it will absorb the field energy (i) continuously (radio waves detected by resonant LCR circuits); (ii) or a “quantum cupful” of energy out of all the frequency-resonant waves passing through it (optical waves by atomic or molecular quantized dipoles). We see EM waves only through the “eyes” of detectors and they have their own classical or quantum “goggles”. They report to us what they see through their personal goggles! We need to be careful how we interpret and model those detectors’ “prejudiced” data. Experimental Radio physicists never waste their time counting “Radio Photons”!

We try to model the “second hand” information (data), out of detecting instruments, using human-mind invented mathematical logics; which are definitely not god’s logics; and hence fallible! So, we need to keep on exploring what are ontological realities in nature out of second-hand information provided by different detectors. We need to learn to visualize the physical interaction processes going on between the interactants inside our detecting instruments; albeit, they are invisible to human eyes and tools.  We should always be vigilant and remain aware that we are forever slaves of detectors in exploring nature; an unfortunate reality; unless a future physicist comes as the begotten son of the creator.

I also find that you need to use so many new concepts that I cannot quite fathom:
“force field directing the photon”
“The photon emits a plenum wave.”
“…virtual mask atoms…”
“…direct the photon forward…”
“…virtual reflected wave…”
Etc., etc.

Let us accept that we are on distinctly different  “parallel” logical paths to explore nature; which may not cross or converge! That is OK. The future generations will sort them out.
Chandra.